Recommend me a lightweight windproof jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex@home 29 Nov 2017
I need to replace a jacket I've had for years. It's a very simple lightweight windproof with a really thin fleece lining so it's perfect for windy spring/autumn days or for taking as a belay jacket on multipitch routes.
Can anyone recommend anything that would fit the bill?
 jonnie3430 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Alex@home:

Montane Featherlight smock and cheap fleece from decathlon?
OP Alex@home 29 Nov 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

I'm after a jacket i can just pull on over a t shirt that is windproof and has a little bit of warmth. Don't want 2 layers. Needs to be lightweight and pack down pretty small
 jonnie3430 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Alex@home:

Rab xenon?
 Dave B 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Alex@home:

Montane alpine equaliser from go outdoors
Currently 70GBP
OP Alex@home 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Dave B and jonnie3430:

Thanks both. I'll check them out
 bensilvestre 29 Nov 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

Mountain equipment Squall jacket, great bit of kit
 jamie_bkc 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Alex@home:

Marmot driclime is exactly that.
 Martin Bennett 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Alex@home:

Marmot Ether Driclime every time. I had the original Driclime but the more recent "Ether" version is many times better, being lighter and less bulky (goes into it's pocket) whilst achieving the same end.
 angry pirate 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Alex@home:

There's a new alpkit jacket that fits the bill though I've never tried one.
My stuck record at the moment is the Berghaus hypertherm hoody. Stupidly light, 100 weight fleeceish warmth and windproof. Reversible too so have two warmth options. Wouldn't let it anywhere near grit though!
 ripper 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Alex@home:

Got a Rab Vapour Rise Alpine from GO last week for £70, half-price so-called black Friday deal - it's surprisingly warm for something so light and the fabric has a really nice soft feel. Got a good review on here IIRC
 Fraser 29 Nov 2017
In reply to ripper:

I have the same jacket and it's decent for certain activities but it's nowhere near as warm or windproof as the Xenon. And it's heavier and less compressible. But apart from that...
 Jack_Marshall 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Alex@home:

I've just bought one of the new alpkit ones, to replace a rab vapour rise that was just to big for me. I've not yet had a chance to take the alpkit out in anger yet, but only have good things to say about rab vapour rise
 nickcj 30 Nov 2017
In reply to Alex@home:

Rap vapour rise fits the bill. Be aware that it is wind resistant and not wind proof. It needs a bit of air to get inside to improve breathability.

I will climb in this and then add a wind proof such as montane lite speed or thin belay jacket such as montane prism if it's cold at the top.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...