Christmas present book for inquisitive grandson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 28 Nov 2017
Looking for the above. Have something along the lines of A Short History of Nearly Everything in mind. Currently interested in the whole religion versus science argument. I haven't read The Blind Watchmaker. Would that be too grown up for a mature 14 year old? Or is it all too one-sided?
Any suggestions would be welcome.
 Bobling 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

It's not very weighty but does engage with the whole god concept and I think it would get read...The Preacher comics! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preacher_(comics)
In reply to Rog Wilko:

'Understanding the Present' by Bryan Appleyard perhaps. Flawed but interesting, thought-provoking and well-written. Almost certainly rather too difficult for a 14-year old though. But there probably isn't a better survey of the debate you have in mind.
OP Rog Wilko 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Bobling:

Thanks for the suggestion.
OP Rog Wilko 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

A good idea Gordon, but having researched a bit I think you reservations probably carries weight. But thanks anyway.
 alx 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I’m thinking contemporary literature.

How about The Beautiful Poetry of Donald Trump?
http://amzn.eu/fJlHffR

I am the best

I predicted Apple’s stock would fall

I will build a great, Great Wall

I build buildings that are 94 stories tall

My hands – are they small?
 deacondeacon 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Bobling:

> It's not very weighty but does engage with the whole god concept and I think it would get read...The Preacher comics! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preacher_(comics)

I'm fairly open minded and I loved The Preacher series, but for a 14 year old?
NO WAY!
 Bobling 29 Nov 2017
In reply to deacondeacon:

Fair one, I read it a couple of decades ago and thought it had been passed on to me by my elder brother when I was about that age - perhaps I was a bit older though!
OP Rog Wilko 29 Nov 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

Thanks - looks like just the ticket.
 winhill 01 Dec 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:
For an introduction to philosophical stuff try Stephen Law, The Philosophy Files and/or The Outer Limits.

If you want mire religious stufff, The Young Atheist's Handbook is good, actually an autobiographical book by a Bangladeshi ex-muslim about how science is better.

Or more complex science but not too much try God: The Failed Hypothesis by Victor Stenger.

John Stuart Mill was famously reading Plato in the original Greek at age 7, so for a motivated reader nothing is too much.
Post edited at 11:39
Deadeye 01 Dec 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:
Sophie's world.
Originally written for children; became an adult best-seller
Post edited at 22:03
 Dave the Rave 01 Dec 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Mr Nosey by Roger Hargreaves?
 Bulls Crack 01 Dec 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

A Short History etc is possibly the most accessible and enthusiastic popular science book out there...still. (Bryson would have made a better Professor for the Public understanding of Science than Richard Dawkins) And, since it does not mention God at all, avoids that spurious argument.
OP Rog Wilko 03 Dec 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks to all for the ideas. UKC community comes up trumps (with l.c. t) again
 JRJones 03 Dec 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Ones I found interesting when i was in school were:

Professor Stewart's Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities - Ian Stewart

Bad Science - Ben Goldacre

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...