Everest 1953

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jcw 28 Nov 2017
In a letter home from Germany during National Service just after the Coronation-Everest jamboree which I saw as a newly commissioned 2Lt I wrote (nb I wasn't a climber then):
"Poor old Tensing seems to have come in for it in rather a bad way, that's the trouble when people publicize and start talking about national prestige in sport."
Can someone enlighten me about what this was, I always thought the expedition was supposed to be pretty harmonious over the nationality issue?
Not trying to start an ex post facto debate but simply seeking info.
 profitofdoom 28 Nov 2017
In reply to jcw:

> "Poor old Tensing seems to have come in for it in rather a bad way, that's the trouble when people publicize and start talking about national prestige in sport."

> Can someone enlighten me about what this was, I always thought the expedition was supposed to be pretty harmonious over the nationality issue?

My impression from reading is that while the expedition was indeed completely harmonious over the nationality issue, in the weeks afterwards both Nepal and India claimed Tenzing as one of their own and it became a bit nasty and nationalistic - nothing whatsoever to do with Tenzing's own wishes/ attitude.
 john arran 28 Nov 2017
In reply to profitofdoom:

> both Nepal and India claimed Tenzing as one of their own

And now, of course, it seems he'd been Chinese all along!
OP jcw 28 Nov 2017
In reply to profitofdoom:

Thanks, that's it. I remember now
 Trangia 28 Nov 2017
In reply to jcw:

If you can get hold of a copy Tenzing's autobiography "Man of Everest" pub 1956 is a good read and explains a lot from his point of view

https://www.amazon.com/Man-Everest-autobiography-Tenzing-Norkey/dp/B0007J0J...

There was also the press obsession as to which of them actually stood on the summit first. Both Tenzing and Hillary refused to say which of them it was, saying, correctly, that that was irrelevant as it was a team effort and neither could have summited without the other. However I think the implication from some, was that Hillary was virtually pulled up by Hillary which obviously upset Tenzing.
 felt 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Yes, part of problem stemmed from the statement by Hillary that Tenzing "finally collapsed exhausted at the top, like a giant fish when it has been hauled from the sea after a terrible struggle".
 profitofdoom 28 Nov 2017
In reply to felt:

> Tenzing "finally collapsed exhausted at the top, like a giant fish when it has been hauled from the sea after a terrible struggle".

Sounds like me seconding Right Unconquerable as a green young lad
 Rip van Winkle 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Hillary, quoted in Hunt's "The Ascent of Everest" 1955 describes the arrival: "I looked upwards to see a narrow snow ridge running up to a snowy summit. A few more whacks of the ice-axe in firm snow and we stood on top." Note the "we".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...