The world's youngest person to do 7 summits, ski N/S Pole

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
benjaminchan 27 Nov 2017
Hi! If you are looking at this, thank you! I have just graduated from high school, and this is my project to become the world's youngest person to summit each of the continent's highest mountains and ski the North and South Pole. You can check my youtube channel for regular updates of my training for each expedition. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-gbcs9anKGlFNHhgFSnlgQ?view_as=subscriber... If you would like to support this project my fundraising website is https://www.gofundme.com/youngest-explorers-grand-slam, as you can imagine I am a broke student, so any contribution truly makes a difference and am so happy at whatever the amount. Thank you!
 MischaHY 27 Nov 2017
In reply to benjaminchan:

"Please pay for my holidays" is what I just read...
 kevin stephens 27 Nov 2017
Which continent have you chosen, and how many of its highest mountains? Or did you mean continents’ ?
 Chris_Mellor 27 Nov 2017

WGAS I'm afraid, as in who gives a ...
 Shani 27 Nov 2017

What do you plan to do on grit?
 profitofdoom 27 Nov 2017

Good luck Benjamin.

Your website says "Your donations will go towards my project and the charity I am supporting" --- and "The funds are needed for transportation and guides fees." And also that you are trying to raise 184,000 pounds

Can I gently and kindly suggest that you send 100% of the money you raise directly to the charity, and pay for your trips from other funds for example by work you do or paid for by your family
kmhphoto 27 Nov 2017

There is a growing trend of people using a charity as a means of funding an adventure with very little money going to charity. A recent Everest climb raised enough to fund the trip and almost nothing for the charity, and the "months to live" climber is still going strong.
 Big Ger 28 Nov 2017

I detest these "youngest person to do X" things.

How long before we have a foetus training in the womb, in order to be the first under 1 week old to climb the Indian Face?
 DaveHK 28 Nov 2017

This hasn't worked out quite how you'd hoped has it?
 snoop6060 28 Nov 2017
Have a like fella

Best troll ever in terms of dislikes. Both those links are dead tho so give it away.

Edit: looks to be for real?! Haha! Cheeky bastard.
Post edited at 07:52
 profitofdoom 28 Nov 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

> Both those links are dead tho so give it away.

> Edit: looks to be for real?! Haha! Cheeky bastard.

The Just Giving page is not dead if you copy the url into a browser
 JLS 28 Nov 2017

I get that you are young and still dreaming big but as I see it, this crowd funding plan isn't going to pan out and you really only have two realistic options...

a) Work hard and save up to fund this yourself. Morally dubvious occupations like banking or doing "something" in the city may expedite things.

or

b) Work hard at becoming a mountain guide and have rich people pay you to come along on these sort of trips.

Either way, hard work is involved and your dream will require to be very robust to survive it.

Instead of the doing seven summits you should try and cross Iceland in winter as that hasn't been done yet.
 WaterMonkey 28 Nov 2017
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> Instead of the doing seven summits you should try and cross Iceland in winter as that hasn't been done yet.

I did it last winter whilst pushing a trolley full of their sausage rolls
 profitofdoom 28 Nov 2017
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> you should try and cross Iceland in winter as that hasn't been done yet.

Good point maybe. But personally I am never sure about "hasn't been done yet" claims. Maybe it has been done but whoever did it did not publicise it? Maybe we should talk about "has not been written up or publicized yet" ideas just wondering
 profitofdoom 28 Nov 2017
In reply to WaterMonkey:

> I did it last winter whilst pushing a trolley full of their sausage rolls

Now I am confused do you mean Iceland the country or Iceland the supermarket
 Martin Bennett 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> I detest these "youngest person to do X" things.

I know. We had "The Youngest British Person To Climb (sic) Everest" back in the nineties, was it? And look what happened to him - he turned into Bear Grylls!
 Rharrison 28 Nov 2017
In reply to profitofdoom:

I think he is ironically referring to a group of young Brits who claimed that they would be the first to do this in 2015/16, when in fact it has been done numerous times. They ended up calling search and rescue 4 times. "The Coldest Crossing"
 bouldery bits 28 Nov 2017

Has the Christmas troll competition started early?
 profitofdoom 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Rharrison:

> I think he is ironically referring to a group of young Brits who claimed that they would be the first to do this in 2015/16, when in fact it has been done numerous times. They ended up calling search and rescue 4 times. "The Coldest Crossing"

OK thanks a lot for that. I am a bit slow on the uptake! Thanks for the reference too interesting stuff
 Phil Murray 28 Nov 2017

Looks like this Benjamin Chan had a justgiving page as well, but it didn't do so well:
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/benjamin-chan-explorers-grand-slam
 JLS 28 Nov 2017
In reply to The Thread:

If anyone is minded to do a bit of virtue signalling by giving to a charity, there is one which is very close to my heart. I'm ready and willing to take your donations to fund my early retirement. Frankly, I'm tired of 7am alarms. While I do find adequate time to train for climbing, the early mornings and day spent at work have a massive impact on the quality of rest I get.

Just £10 a month from you could fund an extra hour in bed.

You will probably never be able to climb F8a but with your help I just might...
Help me before I get too old.
In reply to Phil Murray:
I love the fact that in order to have time to complete all 7 continental peaks and both poles he has taken a "Gap Year" rather than going straight to University.

(TBF Rich Parks did manage it in under 7 months, but with a little bit of fitness training beforehand....)
Post edited at 20:07

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...