Winter camping mat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyd1970 26 Nov 2017
Looking for a new winter lightweight camping mat under £100
I’ll be using it with my closed cell mat but need something in the larger sizes(ie 60cm plus width due to me being a side sleeper.
Got it down to thefollowing
Thermarest Trail pro reg wide.£72 and weight 970g
Thermarest prolite plus large £90+ and weighs 900g. plus but smaller pack size than the trail pro and longer.
Multimat summit 38/25 xl £50 and weighs 900g plus
I did have a exped synmat 7 pump M but it wasn’t wide enough.
Any ideas
 RR 26 Nov 2017
In reply to andyd1970:

I have no idea, but

I can remember well, being in a Hilleberg tent type Saivo with the three or with three people for 10 days. Wide 67 inch. One using a wide sleeping matt (an Exped extreme wide) and the two others a normal matts. Me being pushed to the sidewall of the tent (cold). That’s not the way to make friends.
 olddirtydoggy 26 Nov 2017
In reply to andyd1970:

Save some more money and get an X-Therm.
 jonnie3430 26 Nov 2017
In reply to andyd1970:

No help but I use 2 closed cell mats in winter, warm and bombproof.
OP andyd1970 26 Nov 2017
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Yes my mates got one but very costly but light
OP andyd1970 26 Nov 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:
Good idea
What mats/thickness do you use?
 jonnie3430 27 Nov 2017
In reply to andyd1970:

One thermarest ridgerest and an old karrimor 3/4 season thing. Both get rolled together and go down the side of my sac. I'd go with 2x ridgerests if buying new.
OP andyd1970 27 Nov 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

I’ve already got a mat which is an multimat, so may just add a ridgerest
 random_watcher 27 Nov 2017
In reply to andyd1970:

if you shop around you can find a Thermarest XTherm Large (63cm wide) for about £150
this would weigh about half the weight of the others you are looking at and packs down smaller while being warmer.
OP andyd1970 27 Nov 2017
In reply to random_watcher:
Yeh had a good look round already as my friend has one but it’s bit out of my price range,as I’ve got Xmas presents for my kids first which get my priority
Post edited at 12:20
 Andy Johnson 27 Nov 2017
In reply to andyd1970:
Does anyone know what R value is advised for UK winter backpacking? I have an original neoair, which from memory is about 2.5, but I've never used it in winter. I'm hoping to get some weekend trips in during Jan/Feb and was thinking of pairing it with a simple cut-down closed-cell mat.
Post edited at 13:04
 olddirtydoggy 27 Nov 2017
In reply to andyd1970:

Buy them an x-therm between them and borrow it off them when you need it.
OP andyd1970 27 Nov 2017
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Can’t do that already bought them a set of Quarks lol
 london_huddy 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Andy Johnson:

Neoair is cold - the air inside doesn't heat up and stay warm, from my experience.
I've got an exped down mat which is awesome, but anything which has some insulation in it other than just air should keep you warm.
 RR 27 Nov 2017
In reply to andyd1970:
My x-therm is very warm, at least as warm as my exped down matt 9. The x-therm is lighter. But as others said expensive and not as wide as you whish (to my knowledge) and beside that mine is noisy. But suppose … , if you go winter camping in Canada, buy a thick yellow foam matt at MEC and put it under your standard wide matt, works like a dream. Not that expensive. Or may be you can get a thick a Thermarest RidgeRest Solar to put your summer matt on top. Both will do the job well I think. But the shining of the aluminum coating of the RidgeRest Solar fades after about 3 weeks of use. (If you use it also outside the tent as a sit upon.)
The Z-rest is not as warm, I think, tried it once.
OP andyd1970 27 Nov 2017
In reply to RR:

I need something wide otherwise I can’t sleep but with a bigger mat it either costs more for a lighter mat or weighs more for a cheaper mat
Just thought there may be a mat out there that I’d missed while searching!
Not sure about the Canada thing but i may of missed it on someone else’s reply
Why the 2 mats, as they seem similar?
 RR 01 Dec 2017
In reply to andyd1970:

I have been winter camping in BC, Northern Territories -40°C in the tent and spring climbing/camping in the Alaska-range with two closed cell foam matts on top of each other. Was warm enough for me, no melted snow under the tent, no body print. Not super comfortable, and no risk of puncture and relative cheap.

As said be aware that 25 wide matts barely fit next to each other in a BD First Light or a Bibler.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...