Kitchen Hot Water - Gas Boiler

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 25 Nov 2017
Noticed lately that the kitchen hot water tap does not run as hot or heat up as quickly as it used to.

I've checked the boiler pressure and it seems ok. I repressurised it a couple of weeks ago.

Can anyone offer any guidance before I call out a boiler man?

Thanks.
 marsbar 25 Nov 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Have a look at the settings. It *could* be as simple as turning up the hot water now the weather has gone cold suddenly.

Ours is set from 1 to 10 and we do turn it higher in winter.
Rigid Raider 25 Nov 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

If the pipe run is long or passes through anywhere unheated it will be taking longer for hot water to find its way through now.
OP mypyrex 25 Nov 2017
In reply to marsbar & Rigid Raider:

Good points which I must admit I hadn't considered.

Thanks

pec 25 Nov 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

The temperature of the incoming water is lower at this time of year so unless you turn up the water temperature dial your tap water will reflect this. A boiler on the same setting will still produce the same temperature rise but its starting from a lower base.
 gethin_allen 25 Nov 2017
In reply to pec:

> The temperature of the incoming water is lower at this time of year so unless you turn up the water temperature dial your tap water will reflect this. A boiler on the same setting will still produce the same temperature rise but its starting from a lower base.

Most modern boilers are set with a desired temperature so shouldn't need to be changed if the inlet temperature drops.
 sleavesley 25 Nov 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Has the flow rate dropped from when it was installed? (Info can be found on paperwork).
If so it maybe that the DHW heat exchanger has become blocked so is not as efficient as it should be and would need replacing or cleaning out.
 Andy Morley 25 Nov 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

If you happen to have an exposed run of copper pipe from boiler to tap, you could turn the tap on slowly and play a blow lamp on the pipe as your washing-up bowl filled?
 gethin_allen 25 Nov 2017
In reply to Andy Morley:

> If you happen to have an exposed run of copper pipe from boiler to tap, you could turn the tap on slowly and play a blow lamp on the pipe as your washing-up bowl filled?

Not quite straight out of the viz money saving tips, but not too far off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...