Storing insulated sleeping mats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Just read on Exped's website: "Store your mat unrolled and with open valves in a dry, cool and dark place such as under your bed or the attic".

Does anyone actually do this? A gear reviewer suggested this is to prevent packing out the insulation, but I thought the whole point was that inflating it expands the insulation. Or is it to air the moisture out? Now worried I have been abusing my poor mat!
 AlanLittle 23 Nov 2017
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

I don't have any insulated mats, but I always keep normal Thermarests flat with the valve open (under the bed)

Insulation doesn't handle being crushed for long periods.
 RR 23 Nov 2017

"Does anyone actually do this?"

Yes. (Exped down matt) (Normal Therm Rest matts)
No (Therm-a-Rest Xtherm Max)

I use the Exped pump of the matt and a sack to fill the Therm a Rest. So i don't blow. A ballon like matt is no fun if you don'y. Condensation/moisture in sub zero ruins the matt.
 Mountain Llama 23 Nov 2017

Yes, got 4 in total resting flat under various beds
 Glyno 23 Nov 2017

I hang mine beside the wardrobe using an ingenious combination of a coat hanger and a couple of bulldog clips

Normal Thermarests, 10-15 years old. Use them everywhere in weekends and holidays.
Always inflating by mouth, always storing rolled up. No problem so far.
 nniff 24 Nov 2017

Mine lives inside the wardrobe, at the back, behind the clothes
 Dave 24 Nov 2017

> Just read on Exped's website: "Store your mat unrolled and with open valves in a dry, cool and dark place such as under your bed or the attic".

> Does anyone actually do this? A gear reviewer suggested this is to prevent packing out the insulation, but I thought the whole point was that inflating it expands the insulation. Or is it to air the moisture out? Now worried I have been abusing my poor mat!

I do it with my Exped downmat, and others. Sometimes thy are lightly rolled, partially inflated.

Toerag 24 Nov 2017

> but I thought the whole point was that inflating it expands the insulation. Or is it to air the moisture out? Now worried I have been abusing my poor mat!

Inflating it will open out the foam inside which is fine, however when you blow into the mat you fill it with moist air. This means that things will grow inside the mat over time and it will smell horrible. Inflating with a Pump has the same effect but without the moist air, so is OK. By storing the mat open and uncompressed the foam inside retains it's bounce and thus self-inflating capability. If you let the mat self-inflate then there will be less moist mouth air in it to 'go off'.
 olddirtydoggy 24 Nov 2017

We keep all 4 of our mats deflated and laid out on the attic floor. Great if you have the space I guess. Never had much love for my old Exped downmat so when a silicone gun slid off a rack in the van and destroyed it, it was a good reason to get an x-therm.
ceri 25 Nov 2017

Yes. At the end of the wardrobe, supported by all the sleeping bags in their big storage bags. I sometimes wonder if it would be more comfortable in there than in bed...
 Graham Mck 27 Nov 2017

Like Stefan I store my 2 mats rolled up. Both over 15 years old but still in perfect working order.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...