UKC

NEWS: Major Updates to UKC Conditions Page

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 23 Nov 2017
Conditions Page Update , 4 kbIn recent years the UKC Winter Conditions Page has generated a huge following, not only with people logging and registering their climbs, but also with those actively coming online to check what's been done. For this winter it's received a major update, plus a new sponsor.

Read more
 Misha 23 Nov 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Great stuff, thanks.
 myrddinmuse 23 Nov 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome stuff! Is there a chance that this data could be used for a sort of mountainproject-esque "when is this crag most popular" style plots? I always found them quite interesting/instructive when I was out there! Also serves as a sort of traffic warning..
 Mike Hewitt 23 Nov 2017
In reply to myrddinmuse:

That would complement these pages quite nicely, as this info (as good as it is) can lead to a bit of a feedback loop, where certain spots become more and more popular.
In reply to myrddinmuse:

This is on the ToDo list for the next update to the crag page.
 GarethSL 24 Nov 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Any chance of a 'Euro Ice Destination Conditions' page?

You know, to help out with all those tedious is Rjukan in, or whats the weather like in Cogne threads?

I.e. the same as the UK winter one just with WI graded climbs for europe listed?
 elliptic 24 Nov 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Paul....

In the new style pages, the actual list of recent routes is showing in a scrolling text field that's so short (vertically) I can only see a handful of routes at a time. You have to scroll down it slowly trying to spot anything of interest as it goes past and not miss anything...

The old format had much more of the information visible at once IIRC and you could therefore (a) easily spot any crags or routes you were particularly interested in and (b) get the overall picture at a glance.

Any chance of either making the field larger or (better) dumping the whole list straight onto the page and just scroll the page itself?

JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 25 Nov 2017
In reply to UKC News:

dead link when clicking logbook tab from conditions page
 Smith42 27 Nov 2017
In reply to UKC News:

I have half a page of a map of some foreign island, half a page of advert and sandwiched in between space for one line of conditions.

Is this a bug or is this the new 'improved' format!?
In reply to elliptic:

I've removed that fixed height box.
In reply to Smith42:

Can you link to the exact URL you had that on please?
 elliptic 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Thanks Paul, it's much better like that.
In reply to JamieSparkes:

> dead link when clicking logbook tab from conditions page

I can't reproduce this error.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 27 Nov 2017
> I can't reproduce this error.

This repro works for me.

1. go to conditions page, then 'my conditions'
2. fill in some filters and click filter
3. clicking the 'logbook' tab then tries to take you to the following URL (which gives a 404) www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/conditions/my_conditions/showlog.html?id=34075

ed. somewhat comically, had to edit out the http:// part of the URL because it checked the link and complained it was dead, so didn't want to turn it in to a link.
Post edited at 11:43
 Hugh Simons 27 Nov 2017
In reply to remus:

Ah, snap, you beat me to it!
In reply to remus:

It might've helped if I was checking the live server instead of the development one (which I'd fixed ages ago and forgot about)

That's sorted.
 Misha 29 Nov 2017

For some reason the map centres on the Indian Ocean off the coast of Kenya! Would make sense for it to auto centre on the UK for Winter / Summer or the Alps for Alpine.
In reply to Misha:

> Would make sense for it to auto centre on the UK for Winter / Summer or the Alps for Alpine.

That's what it should be doing. I think you may have been using an old cached version of the JavaScript file. I've changed it to make it force update if you refresh the page now. Hopefully that fixes it.
 myrddinmuse 16 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Might it also be an idea to add a rope solo logging option (tr/lead)? I had a lonely spell at a remote valley in Colorado last summer where my only company at the crag quite often was my rope, top rope solo set up, and the ground squirrels. This has led to a rather ugly looking smear on my logbook.

I'm also reasonably sure that Pete Whittaker is pretty upset that he wasn't able to accurately log his El Cap day ascent....

I get it if you don't want to encourage such unorthodox behaviour, but I suppose if you're allowing logging of pure solos why not?

myrddinmuse 16 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Bit off topic I know

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...