DIY Tent Snow Stakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
What do people use on their cold weather trips? Was about to buy a set of snow stakes to compliment all the obvious things I'll have (skis, poles etc) but after doing some reading there really seems to be a million common objects I could use to save my money. Plastic bags through to sticks - I mean, I could whittle a few long stakes out of wood and dry them out to be super light, even in the field.

Any other genius ideas?

olddirtydoggy 22 Nov 2017
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Plastic half round gutter.
 StuMsg 23 Nov 2017

Multi-pack of mars bars.
 summo 23 Nov 2017

Depending on the snow normal round pegs or the ones shaped like angle iron but only 1cm wide. Stamp the snow down lots, this worked snow freezes solid if cold pretty quick. It won't hold if it's already windy though or in a massive thaw.

If possible lower down you can anchor to rocks, walls, trees, fences.. etc..
 jonnie3430 23 Nov 2017

Walking poles? My tent only needs front and back support, I've about 12 feet of tat on the front and back of it for places where I can't get pegs in and bury a walking pole front and back to keep it up on snow.
 GarethSL 23 Nov 2017

A friend rocked up on a ski tour with a bunch of garden bamboo canes cut with a spike to about 50cm length. Worked very well. Light, strong, organic, vegan.
 pass and peak 25 Nov 2017
In reply to GarethSL:

Also handy for marking a crucial point/crevasse on the return route with a bit of duct tape on the end in bad vis , assuming your coming back the same way of course!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...