Crib Goch - Walking the ridge with a birds eye view!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Boofg 19 Nov 2017
Thought you might like by drone video of me walking over the Crib Goch ridge, dog in tow

youtube.com/watch?v=9DMOfpUhXdE&

Enjoy!
 Billhook 19 Nov 2017
In reply to Boofg:

It is indeed a lovely video.

But I wonder what folk feel about the intrusion into peaceful hills/mountains of rather noisy drones. (The machine - not you!s).
 The Lemming 19 Nov 2017
In reply to Boofg:
May I ask if you have a Mavic Pro?

BTW

Like the vid.

Post edited at 17:25
Removed User 19 Nov 2017
In reply to Boofg:

Don't you know that you're supposed to have your hands behind your head on Crib Goch.........
 andyd1970 19 Nov 2017
In reply to Boofg:
Nice video ????
Did your dog enjoy it?
 SouthernSteve 19 Nov 2017
In reply to Boofg:
Really good light - did you have to wait to pick the day or are you just really lucky!!
Post edited at 18:58
Lusk 19 Nov 2017
In reply to Boofg:

Ahhhh, the joys of week day outings!
You should have done a low level fly up the North Ridge to start off, I reckon that would have been quite cool.
 Greenbanks 19 Nov 2017
In reply to Boofg:

Thanks. A nice reminder. But rather too many frames featuring heroic poses for me
 Bone Idle 19 Nov 2017
In reply to Boofg:

Shove your drone where the sun don't shine...intrusive full fu5ing stop.
 lpretro1 20 Nov 2017
In reply to bsamo:
I fully agree and technically it is against Aviation Law governed by the CAA (which classes a drone as a powered aircraft) - Rule 5 low flying regs 500ft rule. An aircraft must NOT fly close than 500ft to any person, vessel, vehicle or structure - this is for safety. There were other people on that ridge and if that drone had hit someone and caused an accident then you end up in court
 broken spectre 20 Nov 2017
In reply to bsamo:

> Shove your drone where the sun don't shine...intrusive full fu5ing stop.

Diplomatic! I think I'd rather encounter drone man than angry sweary man on the ridge.

Seriously though, Boofg shares a decent video with us and while I share your view drones can be intrusive, even dangerous, what does shouting the guy down achieve?
Lusk 20 Nov 2017
In reply to bsamo:

> Shove your drone where the sun don't shine...intrusive full fu5ing stop.

Have you been skipping your 'Anger Management' classes again?
 wert 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Boofg:

Interesting choice of music.
 BALD EAGLE 20 Nov 2017
In reply to lpretro1:

> I fully agree and technically it is against Aviation Law governed by the CAA (which classes a drone as a powered aircraft) - Rule 5 low flying regs 500ft rule. An aircraft must NOT fly close than 500ft to any person, vessel, vehicle or structure - this is for safety.

Hi lpretro1 actually you are incorrect.
I'm a CAA qualified drone or UAV pilot and the 500ft or 150 metres rule applies only to people or buildings in congested or built areas such as a town or city. For people or properties outside a built up area the regulation is 150 feet or 50 metres except when taking off or landing when this is reduced to 30 metres.
http://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/
I hope this clears up any misperception or confusion!
kmhphoto 20 Nov 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

In this case he was contravening the code because he was not keeping the drone in sight for the majority of the time - circling around him as he walked etc.
 FactorXXX 20 Nov 2017
In reply to kmhphoto:

In this case he was contravening the code because he was not keeping the drone in sight for the majority of the time - circling around him as he walked etc.

and above 400'...
 ianstevens 20 Nov 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

The code is written for height relative to the ground, not sea level.

And can we please use metres, like everyone else has for the past 40 years. It's too late for dividing by 3.
 lpretro1 20 Nov 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

I stand corrected
 TheSooper 20 Nov 2017
In reply to Boofg:

Really enjoyed the video. Didn't enjoy the self-righteous crap that fills this thread.
 jim jones 20 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

> The code is written for height relative to the ground, not sea level.

> And can we please use metres, like everyone else has for the past 40 years. It's too late for dividing by 3.

Kimono 21 Nov 2017
In reply to jim jones:
Is it really 'self-righteous crap' for people to say that they don't appreciate drones in the mountains? Yeah, I know one guy came across a bit Mr Angry but it is for me a very valid argument.
I personally do not want drones buzzing around me on Crib gosh or indeed anywhere and I feel it fair to hold this opinion.
 ianstevens 21 Nov 2017
In reply to jim jones:

> 3.28

Not doing that in my head either
 The Lemming 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Boofg:

I doff my hat to this successful troll subject matter.

No mention of religion or politics and it's got people would up.
 maxsmith 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Boofg:

...loving the 'adventurer's lunge' midway through the film - cliche
 Bone Idle 21 Nov 2017
In reply to broken spectre:

Anger management...ANGER MANAGEMENT what a nonsense, makes my blood BOIL GRRRRRRRRRR.
 Bone Idle 21 Nov 2017
In reply to broken spectre:

Encounter drone man.......I would rather stick my head in a bucket of sh!%e........Diplo what?.
Removed User 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Boofg:

If this sort of thing becomes more common I can see that a high-powered catapult might be a welcome and useful addition to the rest of the gear usually carried on a day out.
 Angry old man 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Kimono: I'm with you on this subject. Drones are an intrusion. When I climb or walk I do so expecting reasonable peace and quiet not the buzzing of drones. At castle inn quarry, a popular venue we had to endure an afternoon of drone activity whilst some guy tried to fall up a route he was incapable of leading. Not acceptable but a sign of the times unfortunately

Flinticus 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Angry old man:
This being the outdoor equivalent of bouldering wall newbies recording every fumble up a grade f3 - 4, stepping backwards while recording their mate kicking the wall blindly in search of that elusive brightly coloured jug.

Will drones be next?
Post edited at 10:38
 profitofdoom 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Removed Userrabthecairnterrier:

> If this sort of thing becomes more common I can see that a high-powered catapult might be a welcome and useful addition to the rest of the gear usually carried on a day out.

Dump the catapult. Shotgun (on any kit list for North Wales)
 Bulls Crack 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Boofg:

Nice video but I too would be unamused to have an annoying buzzing thing about on a day in the hills
 jim jones 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Kimono:

> Is it really 'self-righteous crap' for people to say that they don't appreciate drones in the mountains? Yeah, I know one guy came across a bit Mr Angry but it is for me a very valid argument.

> I personally do not want drones buzzing around me on Crib gosh or indeed anywhere and I feel it fair to hold this opinion.

Eh? Not me I'm anti drone too, I just put in the correct conversion factor!
 Wonrek 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Boofg:

Wow! Thats fabulous footage!

I was up on Crib Goch at the V3K race this year, I loved being up there but hated it in a race situation you've captured the greatness of the place
 FactorXXX 21 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

The code is written for height relative to the ground, not sea level

I'm assuming that the drone is substantially above 400' relative to the ground directly below it for much of the video.
Boofg 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:
@Dave Perry
Its fairly noisy if its close to you, within around 25m. After that you can hardly hear it at all, it fades out quickly, especially on a mountain ridge in the wind. The vast majority of this was shot well above those limits. To be honest, after about 50m, you cant even see it, even if you know exactly where it is.

@The Lemming
Mavic Pro, yes, a fantastic drone

@Southern Steve
I kept an eye on the mountain forecast, looking for as close to a clear day as possible. I don't decide to go until the night before, the weather is so changeable its not worth making plans any earlier. You can chance it but your as likely to end up in cloud all day.

@various
Regarding Drones:
I get this a lot, it's frustrating, but people are entitled to their opinion. The number of drones I've seen on mountains are very few, and rarely close enough to be considered noisy or otherwise intrusive. I use mine sparingly (batteries on drones only last about 20 minutes, so even with a spare I have 40 minutes of flight time in an entire day of walking), and always wait until other walkers are out of the way. I usually start off in the dark and (as in this case) try and get to the summit around sunrise when there isn't many people about. I was back at the car before most people were starting their ascent. the idea of many drones "buzzing" around close to people just isn't true, in my experience, and the pilots I've met in the hills have generally been competent and sympathetic to both other people and their surroundings.

@maxsmith

@andyd1970
Thats George, my fearless Shih Tzu, he absolutely love the mountains, I take him everywhere
Post edited at 17:55
 Derry 21 Nov 2017
In reply to Boofg:

Made me dizzy watching that
 bouldery bits 22 Nov 2017
In reply to lpretro1:

> I fully agree and technically it is against Aviation Law governed by the CAA (which classes a drone as a powered aircraft) - Rule 5 low flying regs 500ft rule. An aircraft must NOT fly close than 500ft to any person, vessel, vehicle or structure - this is for safety. There were other people on that ridge and if that drone had hit someone and caused an accident then you end up in court

No need to drone on about it.
 Raysul 06 Dec 2017
In reply to Boofg:

Cracking video Boofg. Never mind the To33ers Keep doing it
 elliot.baker 06 Dec 2017
In reply to Boofg:

I love the video! I thought you had a co-pilot hiding out of frame, does the drone have some automatic feature that makes it follow you or go around you or something? You obviously aren't controlling it whilst walking along the ridge!

With respect to the debate - I didn't actually see a single other person on the ridge but maybe I wasn't looking closely enough!? If it was mid-morning ridge rush hour I would understand the annoyance or potential danger, but with no one else there/or hardly anyone I don't see any problem with it at all!
 Bulls Crack 06 Dec 2017
In reply to Raysul:

> Cracking video Boofg. Never mind the To33ers Keep doing it

Keep walking yes
In reply to Boofg:

Probably the best footage of CG I've seen, when you're up there you feel on top of the world and this video really shows that.
 BusyLizzie 07 Dec 2017
In reply to Boofg:

Beautiful video. I've done Crib Goch once, in glorious sunshine and almost as deserted as you had it ... absolutely magical.

I am very impressed with your dog.
 GrahamD 07 Dec 2017
In reply to elliot.baker:

There is a difference between no-one and hardly anyone. If it spoilt even one person's day that's one too many. If I thought I'd been lucky enough to get the ridge in near solitude I'd be doubly pissed off by it.
Clauso 07 Dec 2017
In reply to Boofg:

Nice video. Do you take requests?

Any chance of some footage of the North Face of Mount Ogwen, or an onsight attempt of Indian Face on Mount Clogwyn?
 WaterMonkey 07 Dec 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

> There is a difference between no-one and hardly anyone. If it spoilt even one person's day that's one too many. If I thought I'd been lucky enough to get the ridge in near solitude I'd be doubly pissed off by it.

And isn't it just ghastly when one of those nasty aeroplane things flies overhead. And don't get me started on those noisy helicopters they rescue people with!
It's ok to be slightly offended you know, nothing bad happens
 GrahamD 07 Dec 2017
In reply to WaterMonkey:

I'll let you work out the obvious differences between aircraft, rescue helicopters and drones used for entirely selfish purposes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...