Wansfell Wainwright confusion!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Superchop75 17 Nov 2017
Last weekend, two of my friends went to bag the Wainwright summit of Wansfell.
There seems to be a lot of confusion about summits.
Wansfell 1597’ in the original Pictorial Guides or Baystones 1601’ in a lot of current ticklists...
Anybody like to help settle to ensuing arguments?!
Cheers. C
Removed User 17 Nov 2017
In reply to Superchop75:

Do both. There's nowt much between them beside a wall with a stile........
 Mike Peacock 17 Nov 2017
In reply to Superchop75:

I thought that the lower top was the Wainwright but don't have the book to hand. My approach is to stick to the top that Wainwright listed, even if it's been shown to be lower. Oddly Hillbagger have the higher top listed:
http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/mountaindetails.php?qu=S&rf=2607
http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/mountaindetails.php?rf=3838

I got caught out by Whinlatter, where Wainwright listed Brown How as the summit which is further along than Whinlatter Top. I hadn't realised and assumed Whinlatter Top was the Wainwright and had to go back another day to get Brown How.
Clauso 17 Nov 2017
In reply to Mike Peacock:

> I thought that the lower top was the Wainwright...

Indeed. But, as has already been mentioned, do both anyhow.... AW seems to have chosen his summits with views in mind, rather than altitude. Quite rightly.

... My personal tip would be that 4 pints, and a couple of pickled eggs, in the Golden Rule makes the whole experience more enjoyable; albeit, slightly more taxing and 'fragrant'.
Post edited at 22:39
Removed User 18 Nov 2017
In reply to Clauso:

I think Wainwright didn't choose summits for views, instead he chose them for prominence. Wansfell is the prominent summit as seen from below, Baystones hardly noticeable. The same can be said for Nab Scar and High Pike on the Fairfield Horseshoe, which can hardly be described as summits. Nab Scar is simply the end of the ridge dropping off from Heron Pike and High Pike is the end of Dove Crag, with no ascent required from its parent. However, both look like independent summits from the valley. Makes Wainwright bagging look a bit ridiculous. Mind you, I think all tick lists are ridiculous, although they harm no-one. Why not just go out into the mountains to enjoy wherever you are, rather than to tick something off a list.
Clauso 18 Nov 2017
In reply to Removed User:

Blimey... I beg to differ.

Consider the like of Sergeant Man? Or Blea Rigg?... Prominent, neither, particularly: but certainly worth the walk for the view?
 bouldery bits 18 Nov 2017

Don't hate the game.

Jeez.
Clauso 18 Nov 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

Back off homeboy!... Let's not lose our owl shit over this?

ITS makes some interesting points.... Deebait, innit?
Removed User 18 Nov 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

I don't hate the game, it just seems a bit pointless to me, although, as I said, it doesn't harm anyone. If you like it, do it, if you don't, then don't.
Removed User 18 Nov 2017
In reply to Clauso:

Personally I think Blea Rigg is quite prominent from Grasmere and from Easedale Tarn. Sergeant Man is very prominent from Grasmere as a nobbly bit on an otherwise broad ridge. Sergeant Man is just a bit of insignificance sicking up from the end of the High Raise ridge, as is Pavey Ark. However, the former is seen from Grasmere, but High Raise summit isn't and Pavey Ark is very prominent from all views up the Langdale valley.

As for others, Kidsty Pike is a bit of a non-summit, yet sticks out prominently from the M6 at Shap. I suppose Armboth Fell and High Tove are the ones that don't seem to have any significance from anywhere for me.
Clauso 18 Nov 2017

Yup. I agree.... So, why did AW pick um, if not for the views from the top?...

The bloke famously relied on public transport for his sorties; so, the merits of the likes of Kidsty Pike, from the A6 - or M6, if we go modern? - don't seem to be a factor?

To my mind, he nominated these tops for the views from the top, rather than for any view from elsewhere.... Shipman Knotts, anybody?
Post edited at 02:40
Clauso 18 Nov 2017

I'm enjoying spouting off now...

I'd recommend anybody to bag Silver How, via Blea Rigg, if they ain't done it before...

Looks like shite, before you hit the final few metres on a good day... And then BOOM!

AW knew a view.

redsonja 18 Nov 2017
In reply to Superchop75:

Just to confuse matters even more- Bill Birkett names the summit at 487m as Wansfell. I always do all 3. Have fun!
 Mike Peacock 18 Nov 2017

> Mind you, I think all tick lists are ridiculous, although they harm no-one. Why not just go out into the mountains to enjoy wherever you are, rather than to tick something off a list.

I used to agree to an extent, but now confess to being something of a bagger. I've done the Welsh Hewitts and found that list took me to places I otherwise would perhaps have never gone (Post Gwyn, anyone?). The list was useful to structure what areas I'd target next. However, I was never a pure bagger, in the sense that I also did plenty of hills not on any list. The best of both worlds?
redsonja 18 Nov 2017
In reply to Mike Peacock:

I was on Post Gwyn (for the 2nd time!) last month. Hmmm!! I am a bagger, I suppose, but also have my own list of mountains, all over the world, that I would like to climb some day.
mysterion 18 Nov 2017
> Mind you, I think all tick lists are ridiculous, although they harm no-one. Why not just go out into the mountains to enjoy wherever you are, rather than to tick something off a list.

Agree and disagree! When out and about I came to realise that my hills to do list, compiled purely by sighting, seemed to largely coincide with the various hill lists. The lists then took me to places I wouldn't have considered, with no regrets whatsoever, and so now I look forward to completing a few of them sometime
Post edited at 22:20

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...