Multi-purpose jacket - Advice Required

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bensward 14 Nov 2017
Apologies for asking a question that has already been asked plenty of times - I'm still a bit stuck.

My previous cheap jacket (from Decathlon) destroyed itself and I therefore need a replacement. To be honest, it was great in most conditions:- it provided a bit of warmth but was still breathable, I could wear it day-to-day in the city, and with appropriate underlayers it was alright in cold conditions. It failed miserably though when hit by a heavy blizzard, completely losing it's waterproofing within a couple of hours - a very unpleasant experience. I'm therefore keen to get something more durable.

I have a Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer and various fleeces etc., which I'd layer with this jacket in colder weather.

The scenarios I'd like it to be suitable for:

* Climbing Mera Peak
* General hiking / trekking - typically up to 4,500m - through a variety of weather conditions (Nepal treks, Scottish/Welsh hills in Winter, English Downs, European Alps etc.)
* City wear in cold/wet weather - typically between 5-15 celsius, but sometimes colder (London mainly). I really want practical pockets

I'm thinking about the Arcteryx Beta AR - it looks sufficiently multi-purpose and rugged without being too heavy/bulky. I think it would still be usable in warmer weather, without layers, as a general jacket? With layers, would it be suitable for Mera? It does, though, feel a bit pricy.

Thoughts very much appreciated - happy to clarify if above doesn't make sense.
 Dell 14 Nov 2017
In reply to bensward:

Go on, you know you really really want it. Sure it's overpriced for what it is.....but....but it's an Arcteryx!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...