Crawling Down the Ogre

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 11 Nov 2017
I'm crawling down the Ogre tonight
 Pedro50 11 Nov 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Is this a new euphemism?
 TobyA 11 Nov 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I thought we were all meant to be boycotting Mr Scott currently due his complicity in the plot against the BMC?
OP mypyrex 11 Nov 2017
In reply to Pedro50:

> Is this a new euphemism?

No
In reply to TobyA:

I can think of another reason not to bother; based on my experience of listening to his Everest talk in Bristol earlier this year, he's not a very good storyteller. The talk that I went to was, despite the terrific tale involved, just not told very well. I had wondered why, given his exploits, Doug Scott didn't have a list of best-selling books to his name as long as that of some others of his generation. Listening to him speak made the reason plain.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but absolute respect and admiration for what Doug Scott has achieved as a mountaineer and for the people of Nepal. I hope that through the extended programme of talks he's given this year that he's improved beyond recognition as a public speaker and that mypyrex has an enjoyable and fulfilling evening. But it would help a great deal if he was familiar with the story before he heard the talk.

T.
 bonebag 11 Nov 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Yes, he's not the easiest story teller to listen to but is ok. I have been to quite a few of his talks over the last few years.

Like TobyA says though I too wonder why he had to join in with the plot against the BMC. Does himself a disservice there I'd say.
 Rob Parsons 11 Nov 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> I can think of another reason not to bother; based on my experience of listening to his Everest talk in Bristol earlier this year, he's not a very good storyteller.

F*cking hell.

Doug Scott's a very significant figure in the development of the alpine approach to climbing in the Greater Ranges. Sorry if you didn't find him climbing's equivalent of The Chuckle Brothers. But maybe that's not the point?
 rockcatch 11 Nov 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I went along to his talk at Siabod Cafe this evening. It was interesting, and well presented. The pictures were impressive and Doug had a relaxed and at times humorous style. The presentation also highlighted some of the work that CAN has been doing with the help of the funds the Cafe has been raising.
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Maybe you need to revisit the start of that second paragraph I wrote earlier. Ability on rock, snow and ice has, alas, little to do with the ability to tell a good tale.

T.
 Dave Garnett 12 Nov 2017
In reply to TobyA:

> I thought we were all meant to be boycotting Mr Scott currently due his complicity in the plot against the BMC?

For me it's more that I've heard him give the talk before. About 35 years ago.
 iceox 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> For me it's more that I've heard him give the talk before. About 35 years ago.

may be rude,what have you done?
 Doug 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I first saw Doug Scott in 1977, a talk about the then fairly recent 1975 Everest expedition. The second time was some 10-12 years later when he more or less gave the same lecture although he'd done quite a lot of impressive climbing between the two dates. I enjoyed the first lecture, was fairly bored at the second. Sounds as if he's still giving the same lecture.

I was also a bit disappointed with his recent book - some great stories but a very dreary read, especially as I'd read John Porter's very well written book on Alex MacIntyre just before (although that's maybe my preferences in style).
 DaveHK 12 Nov 2017
In reply to iceox:

> may be rude,what have you done?

It's not rude, just a bit silly. You don't need to be someone's equal to criticise them. If someone thinks DS is a poor story teller then that's a fair opinion regardless of whether they themselves have crawled down the Ogre.
In reply to mypyrex:

I loved the talk. He was funny, warm and the story is a brilliant one. I did once fall asleep during a Reinhold Messner lectiure though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...