REVIEW: Alpkit Chamois Pack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 08 Nov 2017
For comfortably Stoer-ing loads of gear on the walk-in to remote crags, the Chamois rocks, 4 kbMade in Nottingham, and built to last, Alpkit's Chamois has a stripped-back design that makes it ideal as a pack for cragging, walking and general outdoor use, says Martin McKenna

Read more
 ewanjp 08 Nov 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Interesting review - how would you compare this to say the DMM Flight pack?
In reply to ewanjp:

I've never used the Flight, but actually when I first saw the Chamois one of the first thoughts I had was it's a very similar rucksack. My mate however does have the Flight and from just looking at what he's put it through they're both pretty bomb proof bags, although the Flight is a wee bit heavier.

The Flight opens right out though, like a brief case. The Chamois doesn't quite go this far, but you can easily access everything when it's all folded out.
 andyinglis 08 Nov 2017
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

More importantly, can you fit in the bag Martin?!?! I already noticed it was heavier than you!
In reply to andyinglis:
Legs folded, half way. https://i.imgur.com/NRCePrF.jpg

I'd better get back to work...
Post edited at 14:02
 Larefia 08 Nov 2017

Where would you put this against the Moon Aerial?
In reply to Larefia:

Sorry, never used one.
 Ramon Marin 08 Nov 2017
In reply to ewanjp:

The DMM has more fancy features (being Made in China allows for more technical details), but the Alpkit build is bombproof. My DMM vector is falling apart just after a summer's use. DMM suggested using gaffer tape as their in-house solution to fix it (true story). Alpkit came to the rescue for repairing it properly in their factory. The Alpkit price might seem high to some people, but remember the service you get with it. I also find the DMM wait buckle fails very soon after using it, and the webbing stitching of the shoulder strap is also coming undone. I own 6 Alpkit packs of different types (even I got them for free) and nothing has gone wrong with them yet.
 Jim Hamilton 08 Nov 2017

It looks as though in order to get the great access to kit the webbing/back panel has to sit in the dirt?
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

> It looks as though in order to get the great access to kit the webbing/back panel has to sit in the dirt?

I mean if you want to open it briefcase style to see everything, yes that is true. To be honest though, I've never found this an issue. Just don't put it down in the middle of a bog and you should be fine. The close up shots at the bottom of this review were taken 2 days ago, so that's after I've had this bag out throughout the summer and autumn and it's still basically spotless.

Denni 10 Nov 2017
It looks like a version of my Miura which has been totally hammered and has literally no wear on it and in answer to above, clam shell opening so the back panel does sit in the ground but if its not wet then its not a problem.

youtube.com/watch?v=yjdF7Z6w5YY&

Minor rant, the product video is sooooooo annoying! Whats with all the "here's the zip and it's gone!" camerawork? Also, I never understand why people explain features but don't show how they fully work.

If you're going to do a video (especially if folk are ordering from the net and not physically handling it in a shop), show every feature and how it works, show it full of kit as "the veritable tardis" that it is described as not just a harness and some stickies. Show the internal stash pockets, remove the back and compress it down etc etc.

Rant over :0)

It looks good and if you like the idea of the clamshell opening, get a second hand Miura if you can as they are literally bombproof.
Post edited at 00:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...