Ski Instructor Courses Canada

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dangermouse79 05 Nov 2017
Hi all,

I'm planning to spend the ski season in Canada (lucky me!) and am looking at various courses. I'm looking to do a ski instructor course. I don't have any real ambition to work as a ski instructor but it seems a good way to improve my skiing and have people to ski with.

There are a few different companies offering these courses; I've been looking at Non-stop Ski (offers courses in Banff, Fernie and Red Mountain), Alltracks Academy and Yes Improvement (both Whistler). I'm currently thinking that Whistler might be the best option; it's a little bit more expensive but staying in a bigger resort would probably be best if saying there for several weeks. Does anyone have any experience of these companies or the different resorts?

Thanks for any advice.
 La benya 05 Nov 2017
In reply to dangermouse79:
That’s a crazy expensive way to go skiing if you don’t plan on being an instructor. Why don’t you just get a normal job and ski?
The feedback from the guys doing the course where it was (fernie) was mixed.
I was a liftie and I boarded every day (to work) had three days a week off and had 30 other ready made buddies. Similar story with every other job in the mountain and it didn’t cost me £10k for the privilege (or whatever it costs).
Bit late in the year to be thinking about this isnt it?
Post edited at 22:23
 Dark-Cloud 06 Nov 2017
In reply to La benya:

Stop sitting on the fence and say what you mean

As direct as it is you are right on all accounts !
OP dangermouse79 06 Nov 2017
In reply to La benya:

You're right, it is expensive (although not quite as much as you suggest).

One of my main objectives is to improve my skiing which is why I was looking for a course with teaching and some structure as I think I will improve more rapidly that way than just free skiing. These companies also offer courses where you only do the level 1 exam and the rest of the course is aimed at personal skiing improvement -that's what I'm looking for really.

Any suggestions for other ways I can do this (short of just booking lessons out there)?

I'm not planning to work while I'm out there because I can earn more quickly in the UK and I am having a sabbatical from work.

Cheers

summo 06 Nov 2017

If you don't need work or want/need the ski qual, then live cheap, buy a season ticket and book a 1 to 1 lesson every week or so. If you are already a reasonable skier you just need some pointers to improve on, then work on them for a few days etc..
 La benya 06 Nov 2017
In reply to summo:

What he said. You will be the envy of everyone on the hill with all that free time. Nothing beats hours on the mountain (or days on your pass), supplement by booking some time with a high level instructor and then consolidate.

As for resorts- you'll struggle to find somewhere to live long term in whistler- its also getting difficult in Fernie. The snow should be pretty good this season, and i'm not jealous at all.

If you dont need to work, id head to the states personally, Sqaw/ big white/ lake Tahoe- Cheaper to live
 galpinos 06 Nov 2017

Get race training. There must be a local set up for racing. A morning or day in the gates a week with proper coaching will bring you on no end.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...