Sturdy approach/hiking/snow shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TomGB 03 Nov 2017
Bonj,

My scarpa zen pro's are buggered (well they've been buggered since I decorated my ex's house in them before she proceeded to dump me, not that I'm bitter...) so I need something new.

I had several pairs of 5.10 Camp Fours before they changed the design and the new ones are ghastly. The scarpa's were good but a little tight on the blade of the foot which caused some discomfort.

Need something sturdy rather than lightweight. I live in Chamonix and intend to live in them during the winter so decent grip on snow/ice would be good and able to stand up to some abuse. If they survive the winter they'll get used for hiking and approaching climbs next summer.

The new guide tennies look ok, maybe zen pro again. Any other suggestions?

Ta
 Toerag 03 Nov 2017
In reply to TomGB:

I can't imagine the guide tennies having decent grip in the snow, the 5.10 dotty stealth sole is renowned for being rubbish on anything other than dry rock.
Have a look at the current La Sportiva range - I have a pair of B5s and they're very stiff and sturdy.
 Roland.Online 03 Nov 2017
In reply to TomGB:

+1 for La Sportiva.

Specifically the TX4, super comfortable (avoid TX2, horrible fit), amazing grip on anything and everything, I wore them for a forest+rain+snow+ice winter in New Zealand for 5 weeks, pretty much never took them off, best shoe of its kind I've had in years.

Also, Andy Kirkpatrick had some nice things to say about them:

https://andy-kirkpatrick.com/blog/view/sportiva-tx4

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...