Britain's Best Bivvy Caves and Hidden Howffs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH Articles 02 Nov 2017
Caves montage, 4 kbIt's dank and drippy out, so why not embrace autumn by sleeping somewhere dank and drippy too? No one said this would be cozy - but at least it should be memorable.

Read more
 stevesmith 08 Nov 2017
In reply to UKH Articles:

There was once a howff in Coire Ardair, not far from the lochan. It had an upstairs with damp foam mattresses, and a paraffin heater. One winter in the early 70s we found no paraffin but instead, a can of Cuprinol which burned with a green flame. On my last visit, a few years ago, the only sign was a piece of timber which might once have been part of a door.
In reply to stevesmith:

Sounds interesting - I'd never heard of that. Guess you could still bivvy, uncomfortably, under the big boulder... but you'd have to be desperate
 P-squared 08 Nov 2017
In reply to UKH Articles:

Sadly, the Priest Hole's fame has spread so far that it is now a massive rubbish receptacle. There are sleeping bags, rubbish and other undescribable stuff left up there (or was, last time friends of mine droped by - they brough a bag full out, but hardly made a dent, apparently). By all means go, but make sure you have your vaccinations up to date - it's 'orrible!
And, of course, we have to ask: why do folks trash these places? The answer is that the Priest Hole has had so much publicity (BBC, the Guardian, etc) that folks just see it as somewhere to go and have a party; they are not wild campers, they're just litter louts. It is a vicitm of it's own 'success' - that's why the locations of these places need to be kept secret.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...