Favourite bothy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DVH 31 Oct 2017
So what's your favourite bothy? I'll kick off. Maybe it's not technically a bothy but I really loved spending the night at the Coruisk Memorial Hut

youtube.com/watch?v=-sRGYFNlQJs&
 Sir Chasm 31 Oct 2017
In reply to DVH:

I like this one https://www.thetorridon.com/
Also not technically a bothy.
 Andy Johnson 31 Oct 2017
In reply to DVH:
I generally don't sleep in bothies but have camped outside quite a few when I've felt the need for company.

My favourite would probably be Glendhu, for the view across the end of the loch, or Oban bothy also for awesome views. For remoteness, the Croft House bothy near Strathy. For comfort, the School House bothy north of Ullapool.
Post edited at 10:42
 ScraggyGoat 31 Oct 2017
In reply to DVH:

I like the not quiet a Bothy theme, rather than the usual MBA 'roll of honour'. So to carry this on, located on the Scoriag Peninsular south of Ullapool;

http://www.toms-bothy.co.uk

Never stayed there but must at some point.
Removed User 31 Oct 2017
In reply to DVH:

Hands down, Shenavall.
 eschaton 31 Oct 2017
In reply to DVH:

Lairig leacach at the foot of stob ban (mamores). Just be sure to keep everything off the floor or the sideboard or it will end up with holes in it.
 Pids 31 Oct 2017
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> I like this one https://www.thetorridon.com/

> Also not technically a bothy.

I got turned away for the there - had walked from Ling Hut to winter climb on the back of Liathach, was a "full" day and we descended into Torridon Village, a tad tired - headed to the Hotel to see if we could get a well earned pint but were refused entry on account of our attire - however one of the guests kindly came out and expressed his thoughts about the Hotels policy and insisted on buying us a beer, he joined us as well, all three of us now outside, in the dark, supping beer. Funnily enough I wouldn't recommend the place!
 Smelly Fox 31 Oct 2017
In reply to DVH:

It’s small, but the Mangersta Bothy on Lewis is pretty awesome.

For comfort, Barisdale has to be up there. Electricity and a flushing loo!
 ScraggyGoat 31 Oct 2017
In reply to Pids:

I know someone whom was also turned away from there for the same reason; so they have 'form'!
 d_b 31 Oct 2017
In reply to DVH:

S------ h----
 Sir Chasm 31 Oct 2017
In reply to Pids:

How strange, i went in wringing wet after going up Maol Chean dearg and the barman got me a hanger to hang my waterproofs near the fire.
In reply to Pids:

It's a shocking place these days. Reception desk as you get in touch ask if you are eating./table for x etc. No place for smelly climbers or walkers
 kwoods 31 Oct 2017
In reply to DVH:

"Somhairle's" is up there for me. It's been a lynch pin for a lot of fantastic and epic trips. I've spoken to a lot of people that didn't like it that much. I really do.
 Andy Johnson 31 Oct 2017
In reply to Pids:
Did you try the inn in the hotel grounds, rather than the hotel itself?

I turned up at the inn a couple of summers back, dirty and sweaty with muddy boots, and got served without a problem. Sat outside with a couple of mountain bikers who were in a similar state. They told me that the inn people had let them leave their van in a corner of the car park during the day. Seemed friendly enough to me, although things can obviously change.
Post edited at 14:50
 inboard 31 Oct 2017
In reply to andyjohnson0:
We were there last summer; soaked and muddy off the hill and the Inn folk couldn’t have been more welcoming.
 wercat 31 Oct 2017
In reply to Sir Chasm:

if you could have seen it on a Friday night in the early 80s ....
 Pbob 31 Oct 2017
In reply to eschaton:

Yep. Been there...

Me:"I didn't know you'd brought raisins for the porridge?"
My walking partner: "I didn't"
 Pbob 31 Oct 2017
In reply to DVH:

Greg's but on Cross Fell - met my now better half
Barrisdale - awesome location and memorable winter trip
Crianlarich station waiting room - memories of getting out of sleeping bag first thing in the morning to walk down the platform to use the loo. Noticing Royal Train parked on platform. Noticing recognisable individuals eating breakfast on train looking at me funny. Remembering I'm wearing nothing but skimpy underpants and walking boots.

malky_c 31 Oct 2017

Agreed - it pretty much makes its money from smelly hillwalkers (and NC500ers as well now probably). I can imagine that sort of reception perhaps 20 years ago, or if you roll up to the door of the hotel itself.
 malky_c 31 Oct 2017
In reply to DVH:
Coruisk hut is certainly a top spot if you can get a booking! Especially with a boat trip in.

Almost every time I go to a bothy these days, it's my new favourite one! Although Sourlies always brings back good memories, it's a bit of a dump. Often better are the bothies away from the beaten track a bit (ie those not on a popular route to a Munro).

Some of my favourites (that I can mention here) are Dibidal on Rum, An Cladach on Islay, Kearvaig, Duinish, Glen Pean and Oban.

Despite being in a great spot, I don't like Barisdale much. No fireplace, looks damp and mouldy, and feels far too much like a council flat. Better than camping outside in the midges for sure, but not the best bothy experience.
Post edited at 22:02
 Ianto Bach 31 Oct 2017
In reply to DVH:

Warnscale Bothy gets a vote from me
 Heike 31 Oct 2017
In reply to malky_c:
I don't think they have anything against smelly hillwalkers/climbers. My now hubby and I rolled up there one afternoon, when a post wedding was on, in our tracksters and muddy boots literally and stormed in to enquire about the wedding thing. We managed to get a cheap (read less expensive) slot for end of October time and got married there. All of the people attending were outdoorsy folk (more or less) and we had an absolute great time!
I never got a beautician or hairdresser (as recommended) and we went up a hill in the morning before the wedding - they might have thought we were a little weird, but no eyelid was batted...
Post edited at 23:05
 Dauphin 02 Nov 2017
In reply to DVH:

First rule of Bothy Club.

D
 JennyFoster 02 Nov 2017
In reply to DVH:

Relatively new to bothies but spent a wonderful night in the one on Loch Lomond after climbing Ben Lomond a couple of summers ago. We disturbed a herd of deer as we approached and got visited by a polecat in the night.

Sadly the experience was sullied by the amount of human waste in the surrounding area from people who couldn't be bothered to bury it. We also ended up lugging out a lot of rubbish that had been left.
 Red Rover 02 Nov 2017
In reply to DVH:

My favorite was the bothy in a renovated miners' caban in the lost world, but its under 10 m of debris now as the lost world collapsed twice.
 Steve5543 02 Nov 2017
In reply to DVH:

It is our only experience of a bothy so far but the one at Rackwick Bay on Hoy is a pretty stunning location and the facilities seemed decent too - fireplace, loo and running cold water (needs to be boiled though).
pasbury 02 Nov 2017
In reply to DVH:

Sourlies at the head of Loch Nevis in Knoydart is in a lovely spot and in good nick.
 eschaton 02 Nov 2017
In reply to Dauphin:

Make sure the door is properly shut when you leave?
 Andy Johnson 02 Nov 2017
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

> Hands down, Shenavall.

Nice building and location, but last time I was there I was shocked by the amount of bottles and rubbish littering the place. Seemed like it might have become a party destination for people nipping over from Corrie Hallie. Kind of spoilt it for me.

(I carried some stuff out to Dundonnel but didn't really make a dent in it.)
 RX-78 02 Nov 2017
In reply to DVH:

my fav is the bothy at Standen house:

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/standen-house-and-garden/projects/bothy-by...

I especially like the tartan wallpaper. Also very near to the gardens at Standen house for some wild foraging, followed by cake in the cafe.
 Hoppo 02 Nov 2017
In reply to DVH:

My personal fave is Suileag, mainly because of the view of my fave hill from the door!

http://www.mountainsofscotland.co.uk/Photos/Scottish%20Hills/Suilven/suilve...

Removed User 02 Nov 2017

that's a shame-sorry to hear that
Removed User 02 Nov 2017
In reply to DVH:

Kervaig, Cape Wrath. Absolutely stunning location above the beach. Very well maintained with accommodation options. This Jan we chose the small snug at the eastern end. We got the place nice and toasty with a fire of driftwood and coal we'd lugged in.
 A9 03 Nov 2017
In reply to DVH:

has to be achmelvich castle though it can get busy v quickly
Removed User 03 Nov 2017
In reply to DVH:

Toss up between Suardalan and Glenbeg.
Removed User 03 Nov 2017
In reply to Hoppo:

> My personal fave is Suileag, mainly because of the view of my fave hill from the door!

It's supposed to be haunted. I know someone who claimed he was dragged across the floor in his sleeping bag in the middle of the night..

Joak 03 Nov 2017
In reply to Removed User:

Is your dragged across the floor in his sleeping bag "someone" perhaps prone to the occasional wee burst of snoring?..
 Diddy 06 Nov 2017
In reply to Joak:

Kearvaig and Sourlies, Kearvaig first because of the location.
 d_b 06 Nov 2017
 fmck 19 Nov 2017
In reply to DVH:

I must admit my favourite and most visited is the one in Glen Roy. Easy to get to and yet to meet anyone in as it's not listed in MBA. Sometimes it even gets stocked with fire wood. Crazy but someone tried at one point to drive their car to it even though there is little more than a faint path. Suspect the driver was a bit over the limit. Other than that probably Dibidal didn't see a soul for 3 days one winter even out to sea. I got one solitary light on Eigg each night. Oban was nice going by boat but a bit sad as a very young deer stood over its dead mother outside. Stayed for the whole time we were there 2 days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...