Moving to Spain - looking to climb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 minarocheleau 30 Oct 2017
I am planning a spending a year in the Pyrenees, Spanish side.

I ski, mountaineer and rock climb.

Where should I base?

I want to get the most out of my winter: skiing, mountaineering and climbing when I can.

I researched this on the web, but it's kind of hard to tell which resorts are best and what area I should take up residence in
I plan on being in Spain for a year

Any advice?
 KA 31 Oct 2017
In reply to minarocheleau:

A friend of mine lives in the Valle de Tena, which I really like. At the northern end, there's the ski area of Formigal, which for Spain, is a fairly extensive resort, with plenty of scope for venturing off piste. You have got the Pic Midi D'Ossau just over the border, which has plenty of rock climbing. Ordesa and Riglos are only a short drive away too. The single pitch climbing in the area is OK, if a little scrappy in places.

That said, I've heard good things about the skiing in and around the Val d'Aran. Good granite climbing in Cavallers (not to mention all of the high quality Llieda sport crags) close by.

Benasque is a nice spot too, with again, plenty of climbing and mountaineering in the surrounding area. I don't know anything about the skiing at Cerler.

Wherever you end up, enjoy your time there, the Spanish Pyrenees are a brilliantly diverse mountain range.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...