Black Diamond Half Dome or Petzl Elios?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 OllieBarker 30 Oct 2017
Hey all. I'm in the market for a new helmet. I've narrowed my choices down to between the Black Diamond Half Dome and the Petzl Elios. Due to amount of climbing I do and budget constraints. If I could afford it there's no doubt I'd go for the new Sirocco!

If you have any experience with either that would make you recommend one over the other I'd love to hear it. Or if you have a third option please let me know ????
 JoshOvki 30 Oct 2017
In reply to OllieBrkr:

Try them both and see which fits better would be my advice. Elios fits me better, but not my climbing partner at all.
 BrendanO 30 Oct 2017
In reply to OllieBrkr:

Elios is simple, adjusts right, and works (I think!). It's cheapish and stands up to a bit of in-rucksack negligence.

Not particularly cool if that bothers you, but the only issue I have is that 3 friends have the same one, same colour - I've now stickered mine up so I don't mix them up (I know, ideally one shouldn't).

Just bought an Edelrid Shiel cos it's £16 on Rock&Run.
OP OllieBarker 30 Oct 2017
In reply to BrendanO:

Thanks Wow £16 why is it so cheap??
 TobyA 30 Oct 2017
In reply to OllieBrkr:

If you want a light foam helmet, better for the majority of UK climbing I would argue, and can't afford a Sirocco, have a look if the Edelrid ones are still cheap on Rock and Run, or get to Decathlon and try the Simond foam one. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/calcit-light-ii-white-helmet-id_8306109.html
OP OllieBarker 30 Oct 2017
In reply to TobyA:

I actually have the Simond foam one currently. My issue with it is that it's crazy big on your head that I feel like a mushroom ????

In the end I've just bit the bullet and bought the new Sirocco. I know it'll last me years so I think it's going to be worthwhile, especially for the weight, profile and protection.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...