3 peaks challenge without a vehicle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andypeak 25 Oct 2017
I've been considering attempting to backpack the 3 peaks challenge, ie walk between the 3 mountains. Has anybody heard of someone doing this before or can point me in the direction of any articles or reports of doing this?
I've done a bit of basic research but can only find one report of anyone having ever done this which was an article about a chap who did it this year and he claims to be the first person to have ever done it, a claim that I find quite hard to believe.
 OwenM 25 Oct 2017
In reply to Andypeak:

I've heard of people cycling and kayaking it.
Lusk 25 Oct 2017
In reply to Andypeak:
> ... he claims to be the first person to have ever done it, a claim that I find quite hard to believe.

I can. Why on earth would you want to? The utter drudgery of walking from Fort William to Wales for starters.
I've heard of people cycling it in quick time, that makes sense to me.

^^^ I'm not imagining things then
Post edited at 19:15
 robert-hutton 25 Oct 2017
In reply to Andypeak:

Hugh Symonds ran the 277 Scottish Munros * 4 English, 15 Welsh, 7 Irish mountain's in 97 days without any transport, if you can read the book (running high) it's excellent.

I am sure it's been done, I think a friend from dark peak ran it.
 leon 1 25 Oct 2017
In reply to Andypeak:
There was an article in Octobers The Great Outdoors Magazine about someone backpacking it
Download it here if it wasn't the one you've already seen
http://ebook3000.biz/great-outdoors-october-2017-download/
Post edited at 19:33
 Dave the Rave 25 Oct 2017
In reply to Andypeak:

Ask Llechwedd on here.
He completed the Welsh 15s, English 4 and the Munros on foot and by bike in one go several years ago, so technically he did the 3 peaks by bike.
Why anyone would want to cycle the A82 is beyond me though.
 pec 25 Oct 2017
In reply to robert-hutton:

> Hugh Symonds ran the 277 Scottish Munros * 4 English, 15 Welsh, 7 Irish mountain's in 97 days without any transport, >

Out of curiosity, how did he cross the Irish Sea?

robert-hutton 25 Oct 2017
In reply to pec:

If I remember correctly he did it via kayak, as he determined to do it all by self power.
 Simon Caldwell 26 Oct 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> The utter drudgery of walking from Fort William to Wales for starters.

Depends which way you go, it shouldn't take too much research to devise a good route. Start with the West Highland Way and work south and west...
 Siward 26 Oct 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Hamish's Groat's end walk (book) suggests a pretty good route.
llechwedd 27 Oct 2017
In reply to Andypeak:

I did it solo, cycling and walking, as the 300 peaks in 2012- i.e the British 3000's
Steve Perry did something similar, before me, as a walk

At a rough estimate, probably about 10 people have done this as a single journey, some solo, some supported.
 Brass Nipples 27 Oct 2017
In reply to Andypeak:
Did it in 1984 linking together the long distance paths.

Snowdon

Cambrian Way, Glyndwr's Way, Offas Dyke, Maelor Link, South Cheshire Way, Cestrian Link, Pennine Way, Coast to Coast

Scafell Pike

Cumbria Way, Hadrians Wall Walk, Pennine Way, Hamish Brown's route to Glasgow, West Highland Way

Ben Nevis

Enjoy it is a great route if you have a free summer like I did back than...
Post edited at 12:44
OP Andypeak 27 Oct 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

Looks like a nice route. How long did it take you?
 Steve Perry 28 Oct 2017
In reply to Andypeak:
Maybe he is the first to walk between the 3 peaks but like its been said, people have also hiked and ran between all the 3000s in Britain not just the three.
I wouldn't be too bothered about there not being much info out there, it makes things more adventurous for yourself and you can link some good trails together - WHW/Cumbrian Way - plus you can do lots of other hills as well (southern uplands and crossing N.Wales). I used the canals to link the Lakes to North Wales via the industrial NW. Put good time into the planning and it will run smoother. Enjoy.
Post edited at 08:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...