GROUP TEST: Trail Running Shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 24 Oct 2017
Trail shoes montage, 3 kbTechnical hill runs, big races, training in the park, hillwalking, scrambling, crag approaches and long distance backpacking - trail shoes have a lot of uses. Eight models go head to head here.

Read more
 Callum Smith 24 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Why didn't you review the market leaders, Salomon? Their shoes, in my opinion, are some of the best around, namely the fell raiser...
 planetmarshall 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Callum Smith:

> Why didn't you review...

Isn't that one of the squares on UKC Forum Bingo?
 druss 24 Oct 2017
More than likely Salomon didn't want to pay for either the privilege of being reviewed, or they don't advertise with UKC - can't remember if I've seen Salomon advert not via retail outlet - so UKC won't provide free exposure. Basically all "reviews" are long-form adverts. Still an interesting read to pass the time.
Post edited at 13:35

Hi Callum. We tried to get in touch with them but nothing came of it. Life being short and busy, that's as far as we got
In reply to druss:

Salomon don't advertise with us, but neither do Inov-8 nor Scott, both brands that feature in this review. So I'm afraid you're simply wrong there.

No advertising revenue = no website. And of course our time and space are finite, while the number of products we could conceivably review is unmanageable. This is why the majority of products reviewed on the site are from brands who advertise with us. But not all, this shoe review being an example.

Nobody pays for the privilege of being reviewed, but if we already have a commercial relationship with a brand then of course we are going to prioritise them when it comes to organising reviews.

However reviews are editorial, which is independent of advertising. That distinction is vitally important to us. If reviews were just elaborate ads then you'd never read a poor one.

ianstevens 24 Oct 2017

> Why didn't you review the market leaders, Salomon? Their shoes, in my opinion, are some of the best around, namely the fell raiser...

Fellraisers are possibly the second-worst shoe Salomon make, after the seemingly ubiquitous Speedcross*. So many far nicer things for your feet to empty your wallet on!

*I get it's totally down to personal preference
 thomastb 24 Oct 2017

What would you describe as the best scrambling shoe of this test ?

cheers
In reply to thomastb:

I'd say it's a toss up between the Norvan and the Bushido - both excellent. It'd probably come down to which fits better
 druss 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com
> Salomon don't advertise with us, but neither do Inov-8 nor Scott, both brands that feature in this review. So I'm afraid you're simply wrong there.

> No advertising revenue = no website. And of course our time and space are finite, while the number of products we could conceivably review is unmanageable. This is why the majority of products reviewed on the site are from brands who advertise with us. But not all, this shoe review being an example.

> Nobody pays for the privilege of being reviewed, but if we already have a commercial relationship with a brand then of course we are going to prioritise them when it comes to organising reviews.

> However reviews are editorial, which is independent of advertising. That distinction is vitally important to us. If reviews were just elaborate ads then you'd never read a poor one.

Cool and thanks for the explanation. Wasn't intended to be critical and fully understand the need to balance competing concerns in order to run a business. Other sports media outlets (not climbing/hiking related), from what I understood, do have some payments linked to reviews going on.
In reply to druss:

No worries - I always appreciate an opportunity to explain these things! cheers
 petestack 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

> Hi Callum. We tried to get in touch with them but nothing came of it. Life being short and busy, that's as far as we got

No Mizunos either? Same story, not 'crossover' enough now they've stopped the Wave Harriers (I've changed to Wave Mujins) or just nobody thought of them?
In reply to petestack:

Similar story - I'll wheel out the life is short and busy excuse again
 duchessofmalfi 25 Oct 2017
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

"... then you'd never read a poor one."

I don't recall reading a poor one, I don't recall seeing anything other than mildly mediocre at worst.
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

> "... then you'd never read a poor one."

> I don't recall reading a poor one, I don't recall seeing anything other than mildly mediocre at worst.

Well they are there. You aren't going to find 'Kermode-esque' rants, but there are plenty of reviews where we say what we think. Just check some of the recent comparison reviews and the low scoring products.

There are also examples where we have written a negative review and the item is no longer available. One of the rope bag reviews I wrote years ago had two terrible ropes bags in it (how can you make a bad rope bag?). Both bags were soon withdrawn and replaced and we have updated the review with the new much-improved model.

Alan
 TobyA 25 Oct 2017
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

I've broken things for UKC and always said so. When in this review they write "not good value for money" I read that as a strong steer away from that model. But I think you are right, there is little top end kit that is worse than mediocre, so often you are trying to think which is best and why out of three products that are all pretty good and clearly do what they are designed to.
 TobyA 25 Oct 2017
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

The Corbie rope I kept breaking disappeared from Edelrid's line the next season too!

> 'Kermode-esque' rants

Hello to Jason Issac.
 DaveHK 25 Oct 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

> Fellraisers are possibly the second-worst shoe Salomon make, after the seemingly ubiquitous Speedcross*. So many far nicer things for your feet to empty your wallet on!

Fellraisers were really comfy for me and lasted for ages but the sole was crap on even slightly moist rock. The new version (Speedtrak) is far superior in that regard.
 Callum Smith 26 Oct 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Thanks for the replies everyone, think that answers my question.
Ian, the fellraisers just happen to fit like a glove for me and I find them excellent at what they're designed for, grass and mud. So I suppose you're right, it is personal preference.
 Guy Maccdox 07 Nov 2017
PSA: Knowing how poor / tight climbers are, these are worth considering as a really cheap alternative to the shoes reviewed here - £30!!!
http://www.runningbear.co.uk/ground-control-1280.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...