Nepal legwear advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 IainMunro 18 Oct 2017
Hello,

Off to Nepal soon for a 3 week trek with a 6000m peak.

I’m struggling to know what trousers to take for the climbing days.

Can anyone with experience of Nepal advise?

Not wanting to buy any new kit so options from current wardrobe...

1) Paramo Asprira sallopetes with merino or power stretch tights
2) mid/heavy weight soft shell with merino or power stretch tights
3) 2 + a GTX shell over the top

Interested to hear what has worked for others. I generally run warmish

Iain

Gav Parker 18 Oct 2017
In reply to IainMunro:

Iain
I would say Medium weight softshell pants and your warm layer and goretex as required. Probably having the 3 layers on summit day.
Ive been out twice and up to 6400m.
 Mountain Llama 18 Oct 2017
In reply to IainMunro:

Hi Iain

I did a 4 week trip back in Nov 2006. We climbed pockalde 5800m, island peak 6180 and la boche 6119m.

Like you I was a bit uncertain what mountain clothes to take. I had done a few trips to the alps in summer and climbed in Scotland in the winter.

All our ascents were done in one push up and down from circa 5000m camps in good weather and I found myself wearing my usual Scottish winter gear, so for legs that was mountain trousers with hard shell pants in reserve.

I wore plastic boots for both 6000mm peaks.

I run v hot most folks were using sleeping bags to -15C where I had -5c bag and fleece blanket.

Conditions can change very quickly and on one descent it started to snow and the wind picked up so having an extra layer to throw on is wise.

My advice is to take a range of lite weight clothes that can be layered to cover a wide range of conditions.

Met some folks in katmandu who had frozen their nuts off on mera peak so be prepared.

You'll have a great time, wish I was coming along too!

Cheers Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...