Winter Ski Mountaineering Suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Neil C 18 Oct 2017
Hello all,

I was hoping someone could help me with some suggestions for ski mountaineering or ski touring routes.

I'm an experienced mountaineer and have organised a number of climbing and non-climbing expeditions (www.neilcoxmisadventures.com). I also ski black runs comfortably and am happy being off piste in a resort setting.

In preparation for a planned expedition in early 2019 I'm looking to get my first practice ski touring or ski mountaineering for a week this December. I appreciate this is out of season and the weather may not be great but this is probably appropriate as part of the prep for the 2019 expedition.

I've spent a fair bit of time googling this and have struggled to come up with many options, but I was hoping that someone might be able to suggest either alpine 4000ers or multi-day hut-to-hut routes anywhere in Europe that would go in December?

Many thanks!
 inboard 18 Oct 2017
In reply to Neil C:

It’s not the time of year folk typically ski-tour on 4000m peaks of the Euro alps: crevasses are likely to be an issue, as snow bridges will be thin and weak or non-existent. That said, I have done Breithorn from Klein Matterhorn lift on 23 Dec, albeit after a less hot summer than this one. You’d have to stay in hut winter rooms, as most huts won’t be open (apart from perhaps a few around Hogmanay).

However that time of year can be great for day-tours to non-glaciated peaks, and there are loads to choose from. I’d wait until nearer the time and see where has the best snow/ avalanche conditions, but plenty good training days in potentially interesting snow in all parts of the alps - but look at the lower peaks. Checkout bergfex website for routes & maps in Austria. Also swisstopo online has ski-touring route overlays. All useful for planning.
 Doug 18 Oct 2017

I've often toured in December, most often over the Christmas/New Year period. But usually day trips from a valley base in non glaciated areas. I've usually gone to the French Alps (I live in France) but have also been to Switzerland & the Pyrenees. But conditions vary from year to year so if you can, choose your destination as late as possible - I remember one Club Alpine Français trip planned for the Queyras which at the last minute switched to eastern Switzerland where we had great conditions rather than a snowless walk.

kenr 18 Oct 2017

Doug wrote:
> conditions vary from year to year so if you can, choose your destination as late as possible

Excellent advice.
Bring multiple guidebook (section?) and maps.
. . . (the weight-saving benefits of digital technology).
Even better to have a vehicle so you can choose exact location the night before.

Warning: early season is a very dangerous time for Temperature Gradient style avalanches. At least one person died already so far this year in SE Germany, then two more in North America.
Also hitting buried rocks can damage more than just ski bases -- when it causes tumbling and hitting something else. Or a ski binding fails to release.

Reduce your probability of serious injury or death by also bringing rock-climbing or cycling stuff so you're not tempted to go out skiing in hazardous conditions.

Not clear to me in what sense this trip can be _preparation_ for a 2019 expedition, since of course the muscular and cardio-vascular training will not last until then, and not the altitude acclimatization. And the snowpack and skiing surface and avalanche-assessment requirements are likely very different from mid-winter or spring season.

Danger that at least one member of your party will be so discouraged by this "preparation" experience they will just abandon your expedition.

Ken
Post edited at 14:25
OP Neil C 18 Oct 2017
In reply to Neil C:

Thanks for the info folks.

Haha - that's a good point about losing my team but is probably good given the nature of the expedition! I'm looking into the possibility of a winter ski crossing of Iceland in December/January 2019; altitude and fitness aren't really the problem - I just actually need to learn how to ski tour!

I suspected that the majority of 4000m peaks might not be feasible but it's good to get the confirmation (and maybe keep a couple as back-up options if the weather turns out good).

I'll check out the links provided and it sounds like the best idea might just be to book the time off work and organise everything else last minute. I guess one decision we'll need to make is whether to book flights now or just resign ourselves to driving in for maximum flexibility (or paying higher flight prices later). I'll check out the links suggested.

Doug 18 Oct 2017
In reply to Neil C:

I've never skied in Iceland but from the photos I've seen its more like Scandinavian 'fjell skiing' than ski touring in the Alps - undulating gentle terrain rather than steep. In which case going to Norway might be more appropriate.

But "I just actually need to learn how to ski tour" makes we wonder if you know what you are doing and brings back memories of a group of ex public school kids "training" for something (maybe Greenland) I had the misfortune to share a DNT hut with somewhere on the Hardangervidda. Hopefully your group are different
 JuneBob 18 Oct 2017
In reply to Neil C:
December/January is very short days. Wouldn't it be better to go March/April/May?

I had some friends go ski touring in Iceland this year, they said it was excellent. But as said elsewhere, for a crossing it seems fjellski may be more appropriate.

Also, to just learn ski touring, going up and back down is quite easy. Building the knowledge to go up and back down safely is a whole different thing.
Post edited at 20:13
 aostaman 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Neil C:

If it really is your 1st time skinning, you can learn a lot on the edge of pistes safely. Steepness, turning, timing, taking skins on and off. Using ski crampons, using crampons on ski boots. What clothing is comfortable, how much food to carry. Whether you're happy with your boots skis poles even your backpack.

If the weather is bad practice with YOUR ARVA and probes.

There is nothing like going uphill for four hours to teach you about weight. For this process I would always recommend Italy because for this it's cheaper and does the job well.

Ski down just at the edge of the piste in crappy snow and repeat.

Have fun.
In reply to Neil C:

Crossing Iceland mid-winter doesn't really require a lot of ski experience. What you will need:

The ability to endure some of the most extreme conditions you can find with literally nowhere to hide, except behind a snow wall (these take some practice to build).

Navigation that won't lead you into a volcano.

Crevasse rescue/awareness and the ability to traverse heavily glaciated terrain confidently.

The skill of skiing downhill with a sled behind you on uneven ice sheets with ski gear more designed to keep you warm and comfy on long traverses than give you control.

OP Neil C 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Neil C:

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's a long way off so we'll just see how it goes; I'm heading out to Iceland this December for a few days with a guide as an initial recce so this definitely isn't something I'm 'jumping into'. The last British expedition to attempt this (google 'The Coldest Crossing' if you're interested) didn't fare well and the local situation is slightly delicate so it's something to tread lightly over.

Having packrafted across Iceland earlier this year I concur with the purplemonkeyelephant (a phrase I never thought I'd say...) that the crappy weather and associated implications is probably the biggest hurdle!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...