Wild Camp - Cork.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jimbob11 08 Oct 2017
Have a opportunity to visit Cork with a friend for a few days meeting up with another mate. As he head for work during the week we were thinking of heading to some local hills/mountains and doing a day walk with an overnight camp and walk the following day. We can get a drop off and pick up. Any recommendations? Tick some mountain, must do ridges or scrambles? Too wild camp spots?

James.
 Pyreneenemec 09 Oct 2017
In reply to Jimbob11:

I don't think you could do better than to e-mail directly UKC member Goatee and ask him for advice !

goatee

For what it's worth, here's my 2 Eurocents worth :

The Reeks have the highest summits and some great ridges and scrambles but personally I prefer the Beara or Dingle
mountains for their proximity to the Atlantic and the fantastic views. The Faha ridge on Brandon is great fun, combining this with some of the Dingle Way. You could do the same on the Beara with perhaps a trip over to Dursey Island ( via Ireland's only cable-car). At this time of year, isolation and peace guaranteed !
Clauso 09 Oct 2017
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

> The Reeks have the highest summits and some great ridges and scrambles but personally I prefer the Beara or Dingle mountains for their proximity to the Atlantic and the fantastic views. The Faha ridge on Brandon is great fun, combining this with some of the Dingle Way. You could do the same on the Beara with perhaps a trip over to Dursey Island ( via Ireland's only cable-car). At this time of year, isolation and peace guaranteed !

All of those places are lovely, but they're also located in Co. Kerry, rather than Co.Cork.

Closer to Cork city, it may be worth taking a look at a spending couple of days on the Sheep's Head Way:

http://www.thesheepsheadway.ie/

It's possible to do a couple of days out along the peninsula, with an overnight wild camp up on the hilly ridge overlooking Bantry Bay. Out towards Akahista or Kilchrohane, and back again, ought to fit the bill.

Edit: The Beara Peninsula is common to both Cork and Kerry.
Post edited at 10:42
Ste Brom 09 Oct 2017
In reply to Clauso:

But beware of purple headed Germans offering sanctuary for the night.....
 Pyreneenemec 09 Oct 2017
In reply to Clauso:

I took Cork to mean Cork City !

That said, the Sheepshead Way is a great walk ! I've done most of it and the section from the café to the lighthouse more times than I can remember.

Is there a café in Ireland with a better view than Bernie's Cupan Tae ?
Clauso 09 Oct 2017
In reply to Ste Brom:

> But beware of purple headed Germans offering sanctuary for the night.....

Or Scousers trying to order pints of Murpheeees...
 Billhook 10 Oct 2017
In reply to Jimbob11:

The Beara is fine and has spectacular coastal scenery. Hungry Hill has a large lake at its foot and is a wild secluded place for a camp. There's also a few places to scramble up the numerous gully and fault lines. Me and my dog have done this...... so it isn't too technical at all!!

The MacGillycuddy Reeks are brilliant with long exposed ridges and scrambles. If you are based in Cork City they are easily reached via the major "N" road which goes direct to Killarny - a large tourist town, once unlkindly referred to on the radio, as; "Best viewed from the rear view mirror of your car"......!!

Howling Ridge is an excellent scramble and little done.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...