I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mark s 05 Oct 2017
Any one going to see blade runner 2049 this weekend?
 Stichtplate 05 Oct 2017
In reply to mark s:
I bloody wish! mother in laws 70th birthday celebrations, whole sodding weekend.

Edit: I'm going to see things you people wouldn't believe.

Post edited at 22:22
Clauso 05 Oct 2017
In reply to mark s:

2049?... Is that when he's due for release?

Regardless, I won't be visiting him.
 deepsoup 06 Oct 2017
In reply to mark s:
Saw it this afternoon. *Loved* it.

I'm saying no more than that, but you might need to avoid your own thread for a bit for fear of spoilers!
 wilkie14c 06 Oct 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

Going on Sunday evening
 Brass Nipples 06 Oct 2017
In reply to mark s:

Probably watch Blade Runner 2023 first

LastBoyScout 06 Oct 2017
In reply to mark s:

No firm plan as yet, but will definitely try and see it at the cinema - probably once the fuss has died down a bit.
 deepsoup 06 Oct 2017
In reply to LastBoyScout:
> will definitely try and see it at the cinema

This is a film worth seeing on the biggest screen you can imo. There are a few bits of cinematography in particular that are just breathtaking, they're not going to be the same on the telly at home.
 wercat 07 Oct 2017
In reply to mark s:

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain ......

unless I can somehow reach my phone round the u-bend"
 Pero 07 Oct 2017
In reply to wercat:

> "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.

The nearest star in Orion is about 240 light years away, so it's good going to get there and back by 2049!
 Blue Straggler 07 Oct 2017
In reply to mark s:

It just about gets 8/10 which was a little disappointing as I went in believing it was going to be a rare 10/10, based on last week's critical buzz. I thought it was going to be flawless.
Acting, aesthetics, sound, score and editing were all very good but sadly there were gaps in the story that needed patching over. Maybe there is a 4 hour version that will tidy it all up.
Still very much recommended though. There are some shots that are just jaw-dropping and for that alone, its existence is justified
 radddogg 18 Oct 2017
In reply to mark s:

Do I need to have watched the previous 2048 films first?
 Tom Valentine 18 Oct 2017
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I concur with almost everything you've said. And for that reason, the latest Apes offering is the better film.
 Blue Straggler 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Tom Valentine:

I've seen War for the Planet of the Apes brought up in online discussion of Bladerunner 2049 elsewhere - in terms of "not much dialogue and not that much action and being pretty long but actually quite good"
 Tom Valentine 20 Oct 2017
I seriously wonder about the expectations of people who consider WPA to have "not that much action", unless they have been suckled on X Box fodder.
And, yes, I thought Bladerunner 2049 was actually quite good.
Post edited at 00:22
 Blue Straggler 22 Oct 2017

> I seriously wonder about the expectations of people who consider WPA to have "not that much action"

Maybe it was "not much war" rather than "not much action". No comment from me as I've seen none of this incarnation yet
 Blue Straggler 22 Oct 2017
In reply to mark s:

I saw this film for the second time, last night, 15 days after first seeing it.
It stands up very well to a second viewing and perhaps is an even richer experience when you know what is coming - you can see nuances in certain actors' body language early on, which play into later plot points and revelations. In particular, early scenes between Gosling and de Armas.
OP mark s 23 Oct 2017

I shall try and go again. still keep thinking about it
Tanke 23 Oct 2017
In reply to mark s:

Have you ever seen a man with hit so hard with metal I girder loosened by RPG explosion that both his eyes balls are thrown out of his skull?
Tanke 23 Oct 2017
In reply to mark s:

No ? Neither have i.
 ripper 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Tanke:

Have you seen a man eat his own head?
 wercat 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Tanke:

I've seen people hit so hard by thoughts that flung words right out of their skulls and and gas from their bottoms ...

But never the other way round
Tanke 23 Oct 2017
In reply to wercat:
Lighten up diddum
Post edited at 23:01
 wercat 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Tanke:

Aw, Shucks man ...
 wercat 09 Nov 2017
In reply to mark s:

I've seen threads you people wouldn't believe ...
 Stichtplate 09 Nov 2017
In reply to wercat:

> I've seen threads you people wouldn't believe ...

As worn by AP Melbourne ?

Dauphin 09 Nov 2017
In reply to mark s:

Saw it in on IMAX 3D at Bratfurd. Looked incredible, sound was even better (!), 3D was not bad at all considering it was not shot in 3D, wanted to see it again immediately.

But haven't. Didnt really stay with me tbh, a bit didactadly cerebral. I wasnt sure about Harrison Fords reprisal, but I am sure now, as with SW, totally unneccasary, underscored by his unwillingness to actually do any acting in his later career. That didnt spoil it for me though.

I will see it again in the coming fortnight when Im not at work and report back.

D

Jim C 10 Nov 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

Look on the bright side mate , my father died at 69.
 krikoman 10 Nov 2017
In reply to Jim C:
> Look on the bright side mate , my father died at 69.

If we're playing Dead Dad Top Trumps, mine died at 56.

Hopefully I'll get to beat him at something yet.
Post edited at 09:10
 wercat 10 Nov 2017
In reply to krikoman:

My father died at 6`1 and his younger brother at 59, one of his cousins at 57 - not a long lived cohort - on the bright side my dad is now younger than I am, so I suppose I'm a time borrower
 krikoman 10 Nov 2017
In reply to wercat:

> My father died at 6`1 and his younger brother at 59, one of his cousins at 57 - not a long lived cohort - on the bright side my dad is now younger than I am, so I suppose I'm a time borrower

Good luck
 Blue Straggler 11 Nov 2017
In reply to Dauphin:

> his unwillingness to actually do any acting in his later career.

Did he do much in his early career, aside from The Conversation, American Graffiti and The Mosquito Coast? And possibly Presumed Innocent though I have not seen that one. Always found him overrated as an actor but certainly had great star power.
 Dauphin 11 Nov 2017
Yeah terrible actor. Corned the market in taciturn, awkward loners / fierce individualists. Mostly. Seems to be phoning them performances in more often of late as as with SW and it seemed to me totally unnecessary to return to Dekards story, because the Blade Runner universe is so well fleshed out . Flat as f*ck performance which is saying something because Ryan was emoting 'I am a Robot' through the whole film.

I did like the film, I had trouble with some of the dialogue because the sound was so loud in IMAX and i felt so transported away that I almost instantly forget ideas and themes that I wanted to think about a little deeper - so I'll have to see it again.

D
Post edited at 23:26
 Dauphin 11 Nov 2017

Witness?

D
 Bulls Crack 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Dauphin:

Ford may have played some corny but fun roles but ' a terrible actor'? No, obviously not. And Gosling's emotions detachment for most of the film is a key requirement for the plot...again obviously
 Tom Valentine 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Dauphin:
Agree totally about the sound. Some crucial dialogue inaudible.
From what others have said it may be just an IMax flaw.
Post edited at 09:56
 BnB 12 Nov 2017

> Agree totally about the sound. Some crucial dialogue inaudible.

> From what others have said it may be just an IMax flaw.

I could barely hear a word. That I found the plot quite easy to follow despite this obstacle is not flattering of its subtleties. Or perhaps I just missed them.
 Dauphin 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Bulls Crack:

The detachment isn't an obvious requirement at all for the role of a replicant. It's just one way (lazy) to structure a plot and the necessary character development.

D

Blue Straggler 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Dauphin:

> Witness?

> D

Hmm it got him an Oscar nomination iirc but it didn't engage me at all, just a typical "tough city cop as fish out of water in different setting" kind of performance. Standard fare . He was much more interesting in The Mosquito Coast

Or maybe my opinion is skewed because I thought The Mosquito Coast was a much better film than was Witness
 Dauphin 13 Nov 2017

Yeah. Interesting film, Mosquito Coast, he's a lunatic in that one.

D
 Bulls Crack 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Dauphin:

Actually I'm wrong. Its more subtle than complete detachment; he had a relationship with the hologram.
 wercat 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Bulls Crack:
I don't get that total detachment at all - I thought there was a theme of something going on under the surface from the beginning - curiosity about garlic, wanting to get the "hard part of the day" over before relaxing even in his first lines.

I thought the undemanding plot was what made the film - time to watch nuances reflectively and with time to think laterally about it.

Too many films are bad cinematographically and dramatically, hiding it behind an over complex plot with too many twists and puzzles deliberately built in to camouflage a bad or mediocre film. The critical senses are not left enough time, unless you do what I often do and just give in trying to keep up and look at other things about the film, unless it's time to switch it off.

I watched it twice, 2nd time on the large screen at Rheged and I wasn't bored for a moment nor wanting it to be over before its time. I'd watch it again without hesitation
Post edited at 09:56
 Dauphin 13 Nov 2017
In reply to wercat:

Seems to be a theme of the central protagonist in D.V. movies - coupled with the dreamy cinamatography and chill out soundtrack. Good choice of director for a reboot.

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...