Recommend me a GPS device

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gone for good 02 Oct 2017

That's suitable for running, cycling, compatible with a HRM and can upload directly to Strava. Budget around £100.
My Garmin 200 doesn't quite cut the mustard!!
Post edited at 19:43
 Dark-Cloud 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Gone for good:
Trouble is anything around that price isn’t going to do both cycling and running together that well, £200wpuld get you near though all garmin devices use Garmin Connect to link to Strava, but having sad you could buy my Garmin Forerunner 410 if you like plenty of reviews online, ignore the touch bezel issues, it’s not that bad.
Post edited at 20:00
 Dark-Cloud 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
Wow, fat fingers tonight, excuse the typos but you get my drift.
Post edited at 20:48

Any smartphone.

Well, any smartphone with GNSS...
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I'll get back to you.
 Dave B 02 Oct 2017

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/suunto-ambit-3-run-gps-running-watch-with-hrm/

Not so great for cycling as no cadence. No multisport mode. However, one of the best GPS ever released for sport in terms of accuracy. Great hr chest strap.

Ohr is not there yet for cycling or interval running...

In reply to Dave B:

Ohr?
 Dark-Cloud 02 Oct 2017

Good price that. OHR, Optical Heart Rate
 Matt Vigg 02 Oct 2017

Fwiw, which probably isn't much, I started looking into this a while ago (and there's a brief thread on here about it where I asked a similar question). Of the Garmin's I came up with this list, the only thing I was really interested in was navigation:

800 ********* good nav
820 **** crap nav
Edge explore 820: same nav issues as 820
605 ******
520 ******** maps not great
1000 edge and edge explore: great nav
20/25: basic nav
Edge touring: decent nav and road vs off road

So basically Edge touring gives you decent enough nav for a cheap price, otherwise you're looking at 800 or 1000 series. No idea about HRM or other fancy data measurements (that I am very sceptical are ever of any use to anyone other than Tour de France riders) but you might be able to build on the above.
In reply to Dave B:

> Not so great for cycling as no cadence. No multisport mode. However, one of the best GPS ever released for sport in terms of accuracy. Great hr chest strap.

> Ohr is not there yet for cycling or interval running...

Yep proof that you don't need to spend £200 to combine running cycling. I think are £120 with heart rate strap

This is what I have and it has been great. Crucial for me was the open water swimming. Trail of bread crumb navigation has been handy. Screens are very customisable. GPS lock is fast. I paid under £10 for a bit of foam to use as handle bar mount

A phone is fine for tracking. But less practical on the handle bars for live data and navigation. Open water swimming isn't really an option unless you tow it in a float

Also around this price point are the Tom Tom and the Polar M400, rejected by me for a lack of open water swimming. But they might well work for you

Dcrainmaker has in depth reviews

lithos 02 Oct 2017

ive got a suunto ambit 1 for sale (not the cut down run version)

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/04/suunto-ambit-in-depth-review.html

pix here if interested
https://goo.gl/photos/BvFXEoLtEznX4qqr6

ps selling as got an ambit 2
Post edited at 22:42
 Dave B 03 Oct 2017
In reply to John Clinch (Ampthill):

I've been doing a lot of open water swimming with my Ambit 3 vertical and its tracked me very well on the whole...

Had as many major errors on this as I have with running... Ie. hundreds of meters out. Even the tracks are pretty smooth with not much jumping around. Perhaps my swim stroke is suited to it, but I'm amazed how good it has been, and how weak others seems to find it in comparison.

Dave B 03 Oct 2017
In reply to John Clinch (Ampthill):

My wife has the TomTom Runner 2 with optical heart rate (OHR). She likes it very much. It is the one with the optical heart rate and I can't remember if it will link to a chest strap as well. She really doesn't like chest straps, so its been really good for her, even if the accuracy is not as good...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...