/ Ben Nevis 8th - 11th January

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Leequester - on 26 Sep 2017
Hi Guys

So basically my usual partner is in India/Nepal climbing for the winter. I've climbed two winter route on Ben already and many in North Wales So I'm looking for a couple of people to tag along with ( the more the better really).
I plan on sleeping on the mountain for 2 nights so we could meet you at the CIC if we need.
I'll be bringing my girlfriend this time who is a complete non climber, so I'm hoping to open her eyes to this kind of thing.

Id like to do tower ridge as I heard so much about it plus I'm not the most experienced, climbed a fair bit of multi pitch + I've been on rope access course. But I'm happy to second other routes.
I got a full winter rack + ropes, spare axes, spare harness.

I'm 24 I've been climbing for a solid year and a half at least once a week, I'm an easy guy to get on with and love having fun and that's all I want this to be just a great laugh in the great outdoors.

Thanks Quester
LakesWinter on 26 Sep 2017
In reply to Leequester:

Bit early in the season really, likely to be powder everywhere
Michael Gordon - on 26 Sep 2017
In reply to Leequester:

Good luck. You may have more chance finding folk if you put this up in December when the winter season will, hopefully, be well underway.
BusyLizzie on 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Leequester:

You are contemplating taking a "complete non-climber" up Tower Ridge in winter???
Leequester - on 27 Sep 2017
In reply to LakesWinter:

Oh really do you think it would be better to leave it later?
Like February time?

In reply to BusyLizzie:

Well as long as you've got a confident and strong enough team then she'll have a blast.
Pero - on 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Leequester:

> Oh really do you think it would be better to leave it later?

> Like February time?

You wait until conditions on the mountain are suitable for a safe winter ascent. Then, in the case of you and your girlfriend, you hire a guide (and let him/her assess your competence). Although, I doubt a guide would take a novice up Tower Ridge in winter. In summer, perhaps.

Michael Gordon - on 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Pero:

Giving the guy the benefit of the doubt, if he's done "multiple winter routes on Ben Nevis" I imagine he's got a reasonable idea of his own competence. I think most would recommend some summer climbing plus at least a couple of shorter/easier winter routes up there first (not to mention some basic winter skills practice) if climbing with a novice.
In reply to Leequester:

Conditions on Tower Ridge can be good any time during the winter (of course, they can also be bad any time during the winter!), but later in the season is on the whole a better bet, if for no other reason than there being more daylight hours then.

Well in regards to the weather both times I've been some pretty heavy storms passed over causing full white out conditions ( so bad 3 people were rescued the same day) meaning we had to do some pretty serious navigation. To the top and back down.

I've got no problem with leaving it abit later in the season if that means better climbing conditions.

When I say she's a complete novice I more mean shes not done too much climbing ( mostly top rope stuff, but always outdoor on sand stone, some dry hooking too) aside from that we spend a lot of time just hiking around the snowdon area so she's used to being on the move for days at a time.

But as for when we arrive there i plan for us to be there a day before so we can do some top rope stuff there so she can get more of an idea on what's going to happen.

Of course we could always do a different route too.
What's the ledge route like? I heard that's not to pokey?

In reply to Leequester:

Ledge Route is pretty much a walk compared to Tower Ridge. Best bet would be to read up on avalanche and route conditions prior to your trip (SAIS blog, guide websites, UKC etc) and speak to other climbers on the mountain regarding suitable grade II/III routes.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.