Replacing the zip on a pack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alexm198 21 Sep 2017
The main zip on my Montane Anaconda 18 needs replacing. Any recommendations on who I give my cash to?

LSR and Scottish Mountain Gear both do it, but >£30, which seems crazy given that buying a new Anaconda would only cost me £55.

Are there cheaper alternatives or is this the extent to which we live in a disposable society?
 Jon Greengrass 21 Sep 2017
In reply to alexm198:

cheaper alternative is learn to do it yourself with a needle and thread.
 Pedro50 21 Sep 2017
In reply to alexm198:

Have you contacted Montane directly? Osprey replaced a zip for me FOC
 marsbar 21 Sep 2017
In reply to alexm198:
Use backstitch and practice on a scrap of fabric first.

Cut the stitches holding the old zip. Try not to cut the fabric.

Measure and buy a new zip.

Use pins to get the zip where you want it. If it doesn't look right, move it around until it does.

Tack the zip into the right place using bright coloured thread so you can see the stitching. Do not rush these 2 stages. Check that the zip opens and closes ok.

When you are happy with the position of the zip, use backstitch and matching thread to sew it in place. Normally zips are sewn in when closed, but this probably won't be possible with a bag.

Remove your tacking thread carefully.

Pictures to follow....
Post edited at 11:34
 marsbar 21 Sep 2017
 marsbar 21 Sep 2017
In reply to alexm198:

http://www.bulbinblue.com/DIY-Craft/techniques-1822-tack-stitch.deco

Tacking (called basting by some). This is temporary to hold it all together while you sew it.
Post edited at 11:37
J1234 21 Sep 2017
In reply to alexm198:

>
> LSR and Scottish Mountain Gear both do it, but >£30, which seems crazy given that buying a new Anaconda would only cost me £55.

>

LSR and SMG will pay there staff >7.50 per hour + Business Rates etc, working in a clean safe environment. The people making the new Anaconda or perhaps paid 7.50 per day or even week working in who knows what, maybe a modern factory maybe a H and S death trap.
Some of the satff at LSR used to work at Karrimor in Accrington, their jobs are now elsewhere.
Its our desire for cheap that has caused this. With this in mind maybe you could consider supporting British Workers
OP alexm198 21 Sep 2017
In reply to J1234:
You make a very good point. I'm sorry if I came across as ranting for cheapness, that's not what I had intended. I feel very strongly that people (such as LMR and SMG staff) should be paid decent rates. I had assumed that Montane, being a small British company, wouldn't outsource production to the Far East or elsewhere, but who knows?
Post edited at 12:33
OP alexm198 21 Sep 2017
In reply to marsbar:

This is awesome, thanks so much. I have repaired several old pairs of gloves and other clothing by hand before but wasn't convinced of my ability to do a zip by hand as I imagined it would need to be stronger. Your advice makes it sound quite achievable though - think I will give it a crack!
 Fiona Reid 21 Sep 2017
In reply to alexm198:

Depending on the thickness of the fabric you're attaching the zip to etc you might need some heavy duty needles, any decent haberdashery shop will stock these. You can also get heavy duty thread (often linen thread) which is less likely to break/snag.
In reply to alexm198:

This is some of the best thread on UKC in weeks
OP alexm198 21 Sep 2017
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr:

...no pun intended?
 Becky E 21 Sep 2017
In reply to Fiona Reid:

And you may decide that a thimble is worthwhile.

If you don't want to do it yourself, I would definitely recommend Lancashire Sports Repairs. They did a grand job with me rucksack lid zip after a squirrel nibbled it, and I seem to remember that it came back quicker than expected too.
 marsbar 21 Sep 2017
In reply to alexm198:

If you are worried about strength you could do 2 parallel lines of stitching. Make sure you get good quality thread.
 yorkshire_lad2 22 Sep 2017
In reply to alexm198:

LSR gets my vote: they're quick, enthusiastic, knowledgeable and innovative with repairs.
 tonyaitch 22 Sep 2017
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:
Yes, ditto re LSR. If you ever visited their site you see that they handle a lot of the repairs that are sent back to some big manufacturers. For me, they've fixed rock shoes, mountaineering boots (resoles, rerands and worn toe boxes) and sleeping bag zips and done a brilliant job every time.
 Toerag 22 Sep 2017
In reply to Fiona Reid:

> You can also get heavy duty thread (often linen thread) which is less likely to break/snag.

I use fishing rod eye 'whipping' thread for my outdoor repairs - it's nylon and much stronger than cotton. You could also try braided polythene fishing line (essentially spectra/dyneema) as it's pre-stretched and a lot stronger than nylon - the thickness you'd want to use on a rucsac repair would be in excess of 50lb breaking strain and impossible to snap by hand. Sunlight doesn't seem to make it deteriorate. You won't find a spool of less than 100m though, so would need to find some secondhand (I will have some kicking around).
In reply to alexm198:

Try Aiguille Alpine in Stavely. They have cheaply repaired stuff for me in the past.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...