PRODUCT NEWS: Introducing MSR Access Winter Backcountry Tents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 13 Sep 2017
, 3 kbWhen it comes to winter backcountry camping, MSR's new Access Tents are carving fresh tracks. Lighter than a classic mountaineering tent, but warmer than backpacking tents, they're the first tents to strike a balance between high-quality winter protection and true lightweight performance in livable designs.

Read more
 Flinticus 13 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

'And they're strong enough to withstand the types of winter conditions typically found in the sheltered environments around tree-line.'

So not good for Scottish winters then?
Shearwater 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

> So not good for Scottish winters then?

They are easiest to pitch inner first, and they have a mostly-mesh inner (to keep out snow mosquitos, I assume), and the outer doesn't go all the way to the ground. I'm not sure what sort of winters they're best suited for.
 richprideaux 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

I've been using the Access 2 in Snowdonia since the spring. It's pretty solid and I've tried it in 60-70mph winds twice now.
 TobyA 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Shearwater:

I thought there was almost no mesh in them exactly because they are winter tents?
 richprideaux 13 Sep 2017
In reply to TobyA:

It's a thin fabric but definitely not mesh.
In reply to Flinticus:

That seems like such a strange and specific intended use. Multiday Nordic xc skiing is the only thing that comes to mind? Judging by the use of 'backcountry' this is an American blurb they didn't really bother to translate for the UK market.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...