Insulated Jacket Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dee Brown 03 Sep 2017
Hi is anyone able to recommend me a hiking jacket?

I'm basically after a men's jacket that is warm and lightweight (packs small), but also water resistant as much as is possible. Research tells me that synthetic is better than down for being quick drying and partially water resistant... I also want something that has a hood, a few pockets, and looks good i.e. not like michelin man. My budget is £130-ish.

I feel I am being overwhelmed with options though, and am struggling to see through all the jargon. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!
 HB1 03 Sep 2017
In reply to Dee Brown:

Have a look at the Montane Prism - it's my go-to jacket for all purposes - it has 2 pockets (missing an inside zipped one) but they're spacious. Packs small, partially WR, looks good (not bulky) etc
 Pipecleaner 03 Sep 2017
In reply to Dee Brown:
Arcteryx nuclei fl hoody...ellis brigham have one in med for £140. Super light, really warm for weight, fairly weatherproof. Really stripped down packs into its own stuffsack too to clip to a harness. Warmer than a prism and almost two thirds the weight...not as cheap tho....absolutely brilliant jacket tho.
Ps epicentre have an xs for £100...if youre little!
Post edited at 13:40
 Mark Haward 03 Sep 2017
In reply to Dee Brown:

Patagonia Nano Puff is worth looking at - about £150 I think. Other option is fleece. Rab's Powerstretch worth looking at, about £80 I think.
 Fozzy 03 Sep 2017
In reply to Dee Brown:

I've used a Rab Generator smock for the past 6 or 7 years, it's great kit.
Dee Brown 03 Sep 2017
In reply to Dee Brown:

Thanks for the help everyone. Very helpful! I am going through each suggestion and reading reviews...
LakeDistrictMountaineer 03 Sep 2017
In reply to Dee Brown:

Rab Xenon Jacket is a fab piece.
 ianstevens 04 Sep 2017
In reply to Pipecleaner:

Recently picked up one of these for £100 - the thing is amazing! Second this recomendation, way warmer than my (hoodless) nano puff.
In reply to HB1:

> Have a look at the Montane Prism - it's my go-to jacket for all purposes -

Same here. Have one for personal use, but also an MRT issue ME Fitzroy which I'd also rate.

Get one with a hood. Definitely worth the little extra weight and bulk,
 Ramblin dave 05 Sep 2017
In reply to Dee Brown:

Has anyone tried the Haglofs Essens Mimic Hood? It seems to be their entry in the "synthetic hooded jacket weighing about 600g" category and has approximately the same features as every other jacket in that bracket, but it's the one that's in stock in our local outdoor shop at the moment...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...