Fresh snow and climbing in the dolomites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 betathief 03 Sep 2017
Hi,

We have spent the last week or so in the Dolomites, the first few days were so bloody hot, the last couple not so much...

In fact yesterday afternoon and this morning we have been greeted with snow covering all the high points,it looks truly alpine!

So the question is, for those who have been here before or in the same situation, where would people guess would be a good place to climb? Free of snow, seepage, and general water? I understand it's a very generalised question, but as I've never been here before I thought others would know better!

Thanks,

Ant + Jess
 smithaldo 03 Sep 2017
In reply to betathief: there is a boulder field just near the sella towers that could provide some entertainment with some sport routes on the higher stuff I think.

Having experienced higher routes in the Dolomites in the wet I wouldn't want to do it again.

Jim 1003 03 Sep 2017
In reply to betathief:

Cinque Torri near Cortina
 ripper 03 Sep 2017
In reply to betathief:

The boulder field is City's del Sassi, with sport routes up to around 20m high. Longer stuff, I'd guess Piz Ciavazes might be less affected than some of the higher stuff?
In reply to betathief:

I would imagine the snow will go very quickly this time of year.

In the meantime, Cinque Torre as previously mentioned is a good shout, as is Crepe de oucera bassi on the Passo Giau for some sport climbing.

Finally Landro, on the road from Cortina to Dobbiaco can stay dry in some of the steeper sectors in the rain if the weather is wet!

Hope this helps

In reply to betathief:

Cinque Torre.....

Seemed to have it all. Trad to 6 pitches and sport
OP betathief 03 Sep 2017
In reply to betathief:
Cheers guys, will have a look at these places in the guidebook, near sella, so will try there first!
 garrett85 05 Sep 2017
In reply to betathief:

Any update on conditions in the dolomites? Thinking of heading there at the weekend. Is there still a lot of snow around?
 Simon Caldwell 05 Sep 2017
In reply to betathief:

When we were there in 2001 at this time of year we had so much snow that anything other than a winter walk was out. So we fled south to Arco/Lake Garda.
 Jenny C 05 Sep 2017
In reply to betathief:

Find the local mountain guides office and ask for advice. They speak English and we have always found them really helpful, and not at all pushy about trying to sell you a course or guide if all you need is local knowledge.
 dontlookdown 05 Sep 2017
In reply to betathief:

Don't be put off, go look for yourself, there are plenty of guides that will tell you different and those who think different than you.

Go take a look..!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...