Newbie Jacket Recommendation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
gandalftheking 02 Sep 2017

Hi all,

I've ordered and returned more jackets than I can recall, had lots of good recommendations, but for some reason I find myself still looking for the ideal walking jacket. Here's what I'm after:

1. All I do is walk 3-4 miles daily in non-challenging terrain for general exercise. Occasionally a bit more off piste.
2. However, I run hot so am looking for breathability as #1 criteria, then wind proof, then waterproof (or resistant). I usually wear only a t-shirt underneath which is pretty damp after the walk.
3. I prefer an athletic fit if I can get it
4. Pit Zips would be good
5. I dislike the 'front zip and hood all in one piece' approach, but prefer the style of say a Berghaus RG1 ?Marmot Precip as far as the way they deal with the hood and front design. I tried a Rab once and the zip when all the way up came up past my mouth, which I don't need or want. I liked the fit of that jacket though
5. Budget... well, it's not unlimited but I'll pay for something that meets the above criteria, and end my long search!

I'm not expecting to stop sweating, just a reduction in moisture retention would be good.

Many thanks for reading.
Post edited at 10:47
 TobyA 02 Sep 2017
In reply to gandalftheking:

If you are not actually looking for a waterproof, and its just for country strolls, I can't see that you need anything that fancy, but arcteryx do do lots of jackets (soft and hard shells) with those hoods separate to the collar.

But if you are getting sweaty I would have thought not wearing a cotton t-shirt and wearing something synthetic instead would make the biggest difference.
gandalftheking 02 Sep 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks! Maybe the 'wicking' tees I've tried before aren't up to much. I'll look at this again
Recommend you look at other options if waterproofing is low down the requirements. Always a compromise of course.

I have for example windproof fleeces and soft shells, that can take mild to moderate rain for the distances your doing and still keep me dry. Yes they can and do soak up water if it's persistent enough, and so get heavier, but can't recall last time when I was actually wet underneath. Even basic fleeces can shed light rain so these worth considering for those occasions when the forecast is looking favourable enough not to go with waterproofs.

Another option to consider and actually the norm for me over the spring to autumn period (if you don't mind some wetting it if starts to drizzle/rain), I use gilets which keep the body core at a better temp, can easily be removed and carried when necessary - for me anyway - c/w jackets. Gilets come in all weight, materials (including wind proofing) insulation levels, water resistance, etc. Generally they don't have hoods - I dislike hoods and generally don't use them if fitted unless in extreme conditions. Would meet all your criteria.

Could supplement with a very light weight jacket/pullover to shed small amounts of heavier rain. Of course if you talking about walking always in wet weather, then jackets have to considered and as you run hot, the lightest you can get away. Maybe a running type jacket/smock?
 TobyA 02 Sep 2017

If you've tried wicking tees, I'd say you're definitely doing the right thing. Perhaps you just walk fast and are, exactly like me, what is sometimes a called "a bit of a sweaty git". If I hike up hill, I get a sweaty back. It just is. It can be breezy, a bit below freezing and I might only be wearing a base layer on top. My fingers and ears might be heading towards to frost nip and I STILL get a sweaty back! So for me it's about having clothes that let the sweat dissipate when you're not working so hard.

From many years of experience though I would say, a cotton t-shirt will get wet from sweat and stay that way. Not nice in the UK in cooler conditions and anywhere else colder. Merino wool, gets wet and does dry out but not as fast as synthetics BUT it doesn't smell even after multiple days of use. Merino also wears out much faster than synths. I've got a few synthetic tech tees which are a bit rubbish and don't seem to wick and dissipate sweat any better than cotton - possibly you've been unlucky, and your tech tees are similar, but generally synthetic base layers - t-shirts or long sleeve, wick the best and dry the fastest. They do though pong to high heaven under the arms etc. even quite soon after I put them on freshly laundered!

If you want to get really techy about it there are some merino-polyester mixes out there for use in baselayers which in my limited experience strike a happy balance between the two. The Rab stuff (Merino+ I think its now called) is very good in my experience. Wicks and drys well like synthetic. Doesn't smell disgusting, like Merino. Pricey though, sadly.
 arthurwellsley 02 Sep 2017

I have a very old Mountain Hard Wear jacket that works for me, as it has large zips in the pits. I doubt they still make it. Have you thought of trying a vest?

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/frontier-vest

Thrudge 02 Sep 2017

The Tilak Loke might fit the bill:

https://www.northern-fells.com/collections/tilak/products/tilak-loke-ventil...

It's got pit zips, though that isn't mentioned in the blurb.

I bought one recently. Very happy so far. The pit zips are great for venting - I run hot. All four pockets are mesh lined, so they vent, too. Construction is top notch, looks very solidly made. I've only had it a few weeks, so can't comment yet on how it feels in the rain, but Ventile is supposed to be fine in anything except prolonged heavy rain, and it lasts for donkey's years.
 ModerateMatt 02 Sep 2017

Personally I prefer to stay away from waterproofs until it's actually raining. So for that reason I have lots of bits of kit so I can stay comfortable in most conditions.

For windy days I would wear a pretex windproof, if cold maybe a gilet underneath.

In more variable weather (damp or showers) I'd wear a "softshell" or something like a light buffalo shirt or a Rab Alpha Direct jacket, which I have not used but have them highly recommended.

If rainy I wear a Gore Tex pro shell

Don't wear a waterproof unless you really need to.

Don't wear a jacket unless you really need to.

If the conditions are 'right', you will sweat whatever happens.

I prefer either a very lightweight simple base layer, or a dual component heavier base/light mid with a good wicking inner face. Followed by a lightweight wind resistant layer when necessary.

It's always going to be a compromise; Patagonia used the phrase 'the storm without vs the storm within'. Rain or sweat; that's the choice.

Even wind resistant layers stop sweat escaping. The more wind resistant, the harder it is for moisture to escape.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...