Dayvan Height limits?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RJP 30 Aug 2017
Hi

I appreciate I don't post much but would like people's thoughts on this.

I am looking to convert a van into a 'dayvan' suitable for weekends away etc. and the occasional week or so in Europe (e.g. alps).

I'm conscious of height restrictions in the UK and Europe (i.e. Ferries, Tolls, Camping at Font) which seems to be around the 2.00m mark. Has anyone found going a bit above this a limitation?

I ask as if it doesn't then it opens up more van options.

Thoughts and experiences welcome.

Thanks!
 1poundSOCKS 30 Aug 2017
In reply to RJP:
> Has anyone found going a bit above this a limitation?

You'll pay a bit more on tolls in France as a class 2 vehicle (or over 2.1m in Spain I think), maybe more on the ferry, and access to some car parks will be a problem. Not sure about Font camping, but plenty of people around in high top vans, so I'm pretty sure it won't be an issue.

I've got a low roof Transit, but the vent takes it just over 2m. Sometimes I get class 1 on the tolls in France, sometimes class 2. I put it on the ferry as 2m and not had a problem.
Post edited at 22:37
Ferret 31 Aug 2017
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Off topic a fraction but may be useful to OP as well. 1poundSOCKS - how have you found your van for UK? City centre carparks, NT carparks in lakes, all that sort of random stuff?

I'm looking at Bongo conversions at the moment and mulling over getting one with an original pop top or getting a tintop that's had a 'standard pop top put on - those come in around 210cm... or whether I'm better fitting a super slip top that brings height down to 199cm.

I can't quantify in my head how often the 210cm van would be a pain. It's hard enough parking up in town in the lakes on a wet day as it stands but if I can't even get into some/all carparks so much the worse... but the slim roof isn't as capacious as some of the alternatives and means I'm definitely paying for a new roof rather than using whatever is already fitted if the base vehicle I buy already has a top.
 1poundSOCKS 31 Aug 2017
In reply to Ferret:

> Off topic a fraction but may be useful to OP as well. 1poundSOCKS - how have you found your van for UK? City centre carparks, NT carparks in lakes, all that sort of random stuff?

I don't even bother with 2m carparks, not worth the risk but I don't use carparks often, and decided against the 2.1m carpark in Kendal. It just looks so close and it cost a bit to get a nice vent fitted, I did get a few scratches getting under the 2.0m class 1 vehicle lane on a French toll. Won't do that again. Have used the 2.2m carpark in Bradford, seems so close, the aerial twangs the roof fittings as you drive around.
Ferret 31 Aug 2017
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Thanks - yeh, I don't think I'd fancy a borderline multi-storey but was wondering about ones that have a barrier to keep 'bigger' vehicles out but that is otherwise open air.
OP RJP 31 Aug 2017
Ferret, not unrelated at all as I would be using it a lot in the UK too!

Thanks for the replies. Its that I have noticed some vans like the low roof Fiat Ducato are a smidge over 2.00m as are several others.

Thanks
 1poundSOCKS 31 Aug 2017
In reply to Ferret:

> was wondering about ones that have a barrier to keep 'bigger' vehicles out but that is otherwise open air.

I went in a 2.1m one in Leeds, but got out to visually check before I went under. It was fine.

The Rivelin carpark is 1.9m, got stuck under that before the vent was fitted.
 Cheese Monkey 31 Aug 2017
In reply to RJP:

I have a 2.8m high van and have yet to have to change plans due to height barriers. Sure, may have to walk 10min further or whatever but I'll take the exercise and being able to stand up in my van comfortably.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...