Camping stove and fuel, Bulgaria

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 splat2million 29 Aug 2017
Can anyone advise on the easiest stuff to get hold of for cooking in Bulgaria? I'm flying so can't carry my own fuel.
I've got a Primus stove but will I be able to get butane cans for it? Or I could take a Trangia?
 ClayClay 30 Aug 2017
In reply to splat2million:

Decathlon should have the Primus canisters, although around there stock is not always in store and you are unlikely to find anyone who will tell you where to get it if they are out (probably will get the sack for recommending any other shop than Decathlon or something that would seem strange to us). Alcohol is available as fuel from the bigger hardware stores, which stock various concentrations up to about 96 %, watch out for the common 70 % alcohol in general stores though which doesn't burn as well as what you will find in the B&Q style shops.
 HeMa 30 Aug 2017

outdoor shops will prolly have gas cartridges, but they might not be of the screw on type that fits primus stoves.

get an adapter for punch-through cartridges (like these http://www.go-system.co.uk/piercable-190g-cartridge.html ) as such cartridges are also used for diy tools, and thus you have just expanded your shopping pool to hardware stores.
 jimtitt 30 Aug 2017

You can buy unleaded petrol everywhere......
 tjin 31 Aug 2017
In reply to jimtitt:

Unleaded stoves have not been welcomed on airplanes a lot... Any hint of fuel smell and they will take it. Very hard to fully remove all the smell.

You can take adapters with you:
- Puncture to screw
- Campingaz to screw
- Butane bayonet to screw
 marsbar 31 Aug 2017
In reply to tjin:

Rinse the bottle with cooking oil.
 leon 1 31 Aug 2017
In reply to marsbar: or Ribena

marsbar 31 Aug 2017
In reply to leon 1:

Seriously?

Cooking oil makes it safe, (lowers flash point)

Wouldnt ribena just make it sticky?!
 leon 1 31 Aug 2017
In reply to marsbar: Rinse the bottle out well afterwards dry it and its fine. Ribena disguises the smell of fuel.

tjin 31 Aug 2017
In reply to leon 1:

Yes, people know that so the will remove the bottle if there is any doubt.
 marsbar 31 Aug 2017
In reply to leon 1:

OK thsnks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...