Buffalo Belay Jacket - sizing and fit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm looking to buy a buffalo hooded belay jacket, but unfortunately I don't live anywhere near a retailer where I can try one on to judge the size.

I'm not intending to wear it over a buffalo shirt - more likely over a base and mid layer.

I already own a synthetic belay jacket, and am looking for something more hard wearing and robust.

I currently wear a 40" Buffalo mountain shirt which is a snug fit, as recommended by the manufacturer. I normally take a medium in Patagonia/TNF, and a large in Montane.

Does anyone have personal experience of using the belay jacket, and could you comment on the fit? Is it already oversized to accommodate layers underneath, or better buying one size bigger than normal?

Thanks in advance...
 TobyA 27 Aug 2017
In reply to Moorland-wanderer:

I have one from back in the 90s, at least back then you just bought the same size as your Mountain Shirt. I'm not sure how it would be much more robust than a standard modern belay jacket though.
nikkormat 27 Aug 2017
In reply to Moorland-wanderer:

I wear a close-fitting 42" Special Six. I bought the hooded belay jacket online in 42". The fit was boxy and loose. I guess it was closer to 46-48" chest. The drawcord at the hem could not be pulled anywhere near close enough for my 34" waist. The hood is not helmet compatible, and the zip broke in two places within the first week. I replaced it with a Decathlon belay jacket, which was 1/3 the price and actually works as a belay jacket should. I've used Buffalo for 15 years, and I really like the S6 and the mitts, but the hooded belay jacket was shit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...