Hand sewing a rucksack adjusting strap (the thin bit)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 24 Aug 2017

I've had Berghaus Munro 'sack since 1995 as a birthday present, and being 1000Denier it's lasted well other than a couple of wear points where it rests against the base of my back, and the thin bit on the right rucksack strap starting to fray, and the odd tear or hole which has been easily fixed.

There's a lot to sift through online when it comes to rucksack repairs, has anybody come across a handy link demonstrating how to sew the thin bit of webbing by hand into a rucksack to make it as strong as new? Since it's starting the fray, I'd like to replace it with new webbing.

I'm half pondering opening the 'sandwich' of fabric which the webbing is sewn into, and using Araldite to bond it to one side, and then the other, but sewing it to one side very securely and then bonding the lot by squishing it together might be preferable.

If anybody has any helpful links, that'd be great. If I keep on top of repairs, it might last for another 22 years.

Thanks
Post edited at 00:11
 gethin_allen 24 Aug 2017
In reply to Timmd:

I would avoid araldite as the hard set glue could end up acting as a anvil creating a wear point on the adjoining material. Also, if the glued part ends up near you it will be very uncomfortable.
 mxg 24 Aug 2017
In reply to Timmd:

As mentioned above, don't glue fabric where it can move, you'll create a point for it to fail. If you want strong thread use dental floss. Excellent for rucksack repairs and smells nice too.
 timjones 24 Aug 2017
In reply to Timmd:

I wouldn't use glue, open up the seam insert the replacement webbing and then sew it all back together again.
 yorkshire_lad2 24 Aug 2017
In reply to Timmd:

I have a Berghaus Dart 45 which I love to bits (literally) of a similar vintage to yours (probably purchased around 1994/1995). I once tried to replace it with similar, and happened to go into the (as was then) YHA shop in Leeds. Got chatting to the manager, and he said his wife had the exact same model, and she wouldn't let him take it off her when he suggested replacing it: he recommended I should keep mine, describing it as "bomb proof".

Mine is still going. I get bits of it repaired, replaced, patched periodically (usually straps & stictching). All my walking partners chuckle at it describing it as an antique (the rucksack and the wearer!).

I get stitching repairs done at the local cobbler in Settle (Nelsons) as they have the equipment to do the strong stitching and are very competitively priced (and just round the corner). Any technical repairs I use LSR in Burnley where the people are lovely and resourceful and imaginative when it comes to repairs; they used to look at my rucksack like a timepiece, but after a few times of seeing it, they just sigh....

Not really a direct answer to your question, but tangential and sharing my experience of similar repairs.
Perhaps there should be a congregation of Berghaus ("they don't make 'em like that any more.....") packs on a hill one day....

OP Timmd 24 Aug 2017
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:
It sounds like Lancashire Sports repairs could be somebody who would fit a new piece of webbing for me.

My rucksack was a present from my Dad, but putting aside the sentimental attachment, I've realised it's too useful not to repair and keep going, given that I'll use it for mtb-ing and going food shopping, and packing sparingly when visiting family on the train, so there's no reason not to maintain it. I'll probably contact Lancashire Sports Repairs.

Many thanks.
Post edited at 16:37

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...