Grade 1 day scrambles/hikes near Inverness - recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 OG 23 Aug 2017
I will be in Inverness area for probably 1 day, maybe 2, in November and want to take gf + in-laws grade 1 scramble or adventurous walk (more than that may terrify them!) in as spectacular a mountain setting as possible. We'll have a car.

I'm not familiar with the area - any suggestions?

Ideally easy to navigate with map/compass/internet route (I don't want to buy a guidebook for that short a time). And do-able in damp weather obv (it's Scotland in November).

Thanks in advance
 tspoon1981 23 Aug 2017
In reply to OG:

Fiacall ridge? Easyish walk in and you can get a cup of tea at the car park on the way out. Supper at The Old Bridge Inn is definitely a wise move afterwards.

Fiacaill Ridge (Grade-1)

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11559
 Andy Nisbet 23 Aug 2017
In reply to OG:

Depends very much on how much snow there is.
 Jamie Hageman 23 Aug 2017
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Hope you've not just jinxed it
 DaveHK 23 Aug 2017
In reply to tspoon1981:

> Fiacall ridge?

It's hard to think of a better option given the OP's criteria.

OP OG 24 Aug 2017
Thanks everyone. I'll pray for no snow!
 ben b 24 Aug 2017
In reply to OG:

Agree with the suggestion of the Fiacall ridge - provided weather good, otherwise blubbering around on the plateau at the end can be miserable (just come down the same way if need be).

Otherwise when I lived in Inverness I found it was pretty quick to get to An Teallach or Torridon - plenty of excellent scrambling options there.

b
 Bob Aitken 24 Aug 2017
In reply to OG:

Fiacaill is very weather-dependent - as Ben B says it could be intimidating for the in-laws if it's wet and windy, and of course takes you up to near 4000', so would be a bit speculative in November.

Depending on the forecast you might be better going west to Kinlochewe and doing the Beinn Eighe Mountain Trail - http://www.snh.org.uk/pdfs/publications/designatedareas/beinneighemounttrai... It's steep and quite rough, but mostly sheltered from south-westerlies, gives fine views. Always a worthwhile atmospheric outing for short November days, or if the tops are in murk. Driving time similar to Cairngorm.
 ben b 25 Aug 2017
In reply to Bob Aitken:

Good point: nice track (lovely running too) and goes into some grand terrain. Great views of Slioch etc to the north, and the 'back' of Beinn Eighe.

Circuit around Liathach or into the Triple Buttress feasible in almost all weather - the former easier with two cars.

b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...