Best All Round Sleeping Bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinturner 22 Aug 2017
So I'm looking for a general sleeping bag.
Nothing to keep me warm on a glacier, nor something that I'd need to pull on a sled.

Something that will keep me warm to, say, waking up with white, frosty grass outside the tent. But also something I can throw in a 45l bag for a couple of days walking.

I've seen Vango Ultralite Pro 300, which seems to fit the bill. But (it may be the brand snob inside), I'm always sceptical of the mass audience options.

Budget wise, I'd rather not throw a small fortune at one, but then again I don't mind spending abit on something that will last.

Any personal recommendations or bags that have caught your eye?
 Welsh Kate 22 Aug 2017
In reply to martinturner:

Alpkit Pipedream? Quality bags at a decent price.
 Trangia 23 Aug 2017

Have you considered the PHD range?

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/down-sleeping-bags

They are expensive , but when you weigh up what you get for the money, and treat it as a long term investment, I think they are worth splashing out on if you can afford it.

I've had my Minimus now for over 10 years and in spite of heavy use it's still as good as new, and definitely does what it says on the tin!

Advantages: Made to your choice re zip or no zip, zip length, zip on left or right side if you opt for one.
Very light without loss of warmth, packs down to a very small size in your rucksack, yet regains it's loft quickly when you unroll it. Optional shower proof treatment to the outside.
 JayPee630 23 Aug 2017

What's your budget in actual £, small fortune and a bit are vague terms!

Down or synthetic, or are you not bothered? Weight much of an issue? Might it be used for crashing in friends houses as much as backpacking/bivving?

After using expensive light down bags for years I've just moved to a synthetic cheaper bit heavier bag and it's much better for what I use it for now, which sounds much like what you want.

I got the Mountain Hardwear HyperLamina Spark (good to 0 degree) after looking about quite a lot. This one https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/sleeping-bags-c21/slee...

I'd get the next one up if I wanted a slightly warmer bag.
 galpinos 23 Aug 2017

The best all rounder imo is a 300g or 400g down bag with a longish zip. Can be used from below zero to summer nights with the zip undone.

We have a multitude of bags in our house and the most used is a PHD Minim 300. It really hits the sweet spot of light enough to always take and covers most temperatures, though is retrospect I'd have gt a half zip, mine's a no zip.

(I know PHD gets raved about and I really like the bag but I'd say the quality is no better (if a little worse) than the ME bags we've got. You do get the fuzzy feeling that it's been made in Stalyvegas though.....)
 shuffle 23 Aug 2017

I've got the same Hyperlamina bag as Jaypee630 and would recommend it. It packs surprisingly small for a synthetic bag!
ultinator 23 Aug 2017
In reply to JayPee630:
I have the lamina torch.
It's probably 6-700g heavier. But boy was it warm.

I had to get it as before this, I was sleeping in -5, in two sleeping bags. With extra layers of clothing on. And still so cold I stopped me sleeping well.
I went and found this. It was on display so I got 15% off or something in the end.

Using this bag was awesome. Just in base layers and so warm all night. There was ice on the inside of the tent. But I was so warm I couldn't care less. Is a bit bulky (heard can compress even more with your own compression sack) and is a bit heavier. But synthetic so not affected by the damp like down. And really just lovely and warm. Big and heavy compared to the spark though. But good to -15
Post edited at 10:22
 Siward 23 Aug 2017

It depends so much on how warm you sleep. The 3 or 400g down bags recommended here I wouldn't be happy with for a cold bothy in October, say. I use an ME 600g down bag (Frostline) for those early spring/autumn months.

Most importantly, buy down, buy used. There are so many hardly used down bags out there, particularly if you're prepared t wait for the right one to come along.
 london_huddy 23 Aug 2017

I'm gone for an Enlightened Equipment quilt, rated to -5C. Tiny, light and warm. A different beast than sleeping bag but for a front and side sleeper like me, it's far more comfortable.
 Dave the Rave 23 Aug 2017
In reply to london_huddy:

> I'm gone for an Enlightened Equipment quilt, rated to -5C. Tiny, light and warm. A different beast than sleeping bag but for a front and side sleeper like me, it's far more comfortable.

Can you enlighten me on how these quilts work? I understand the logic of it being pointless to have compressed down under you , but , if you roll around a lot doesn't the quilt come off leaving you cold?
OP martinturner 23 Aug 2017
Thanks for all the replies!

Budgets probably around £200 to be honest, but if it's a bargain, I could put abit more in.

I like the idea of a quilt, but got to question the same as above, what's it like for drafts etc?
How small do they pack in comparison to an equivalent bag?

Down vs Synthetic always comes up, and I'm unsure which Would be best for my needs.

I'd like a bag which I can just grab and throw in my bag, take it on a couple of multiday walks etc, and not worry about being cold.
As if I'm in the van or car, I can just throw two bags in and not worry at all.

Whats the view on adding a fleece liner to improve warmth? I know a lot of people are sceptical, or is this a personal preference thing?

Thanks again for the replies
 splat2million 24 Aug 2017

I'd go for one of the Alpkit Pipedreams. I've been very happy with my Pipedream 600, which would be too warm for what you are suggesting, but the 400 (costs £200) might be ideal, or even the 200 if you're not using it in the depths of winter. It also packs nice and small but lovely and warm when its out.

I stick to a silk liner for a little extra warmth but primarily to keep the bag a bit cleaner and need less frequent cleaning. I don't see the benefit of putting a liner between me and the down since the down seems warmer than a fleece layer.
 thlcr1 24 Aug 2017

Its worth taking a look at whats on special offer. A few weeks ago I got a Mountain Equipment Glacier SL 800 extra long from Joe Browns in Llanberis. its an old discontinued model so they were selling for £245 instead of the original £380. It maybe discontinued but it still seems a mighty fine bag for the money and just what I was looking for. They had quite a few special offer bags from ME and Rab in both the Snowdonia stores. Probably lots of other suppliers as well.

Lee
 Toerag 24 Aug 2017

So, you want something that once would have been called a 3 season bag, but now you need to look for a comfort rating of -2 or similar. You'll want down to fit it in a 45l sac. I have the relevant Rab model (ascent 300 or 600?) and it's excellent, albeit the grey lining shows facegrease marks easily. I've used it with frost on the inside of the fly and was fine in it. Looking for something of the relevant rating in a sale is a very good idea.
 Toerag 24 Aug 2017
In reply to splat2million:

> I stick to a silk liner for a little extra warmth but primarily to keep the bag a bit cleaner and need less frequent cleaning.

Me too - it's so much easier to clean a liner than a bag. Any recommendation for a decent length liner, I find mine doesn't stop hair/face grease getting on the hood. Mine is 220cm long apparently and that's not enough.
In reply to Toerag:

Martin
I've got 2 Winter Down bags going I'd do fairly cheap, TNF Superlite in Shiny Green latest model
Good to -12c 1400g mint condition £120
Or a Slightly older but in Great Condition M.E Dreamcatcher 1000 in Black Barely used good to -15c bit heavier at 1700g I'd do for £100, both bags have Stuffsacs and been Hand Cleaned inside & out with Nikwax Downwash ready to go
Give me a shout
 Dell 25 Aug 2017
In reply to Toerag:
> I find mine doesn't stop hair/face grease getting on the hood. Mine is 220cm long apparently and that's not enough.

Maybe cut up an old cotton sheet and sew some velcro on to attach it inside the hood? Or small plastic poppers like on a duvet cover.
Post edited at 11:50
 TobyA 25 Aug 2017

One thing that people don't mention in down vs synth is how well they last. I have a now 18 year old ME bag which is still excellent, I reckon it still works almost to its claimed minimum. I have a Haglof synth bag which I still use quite a lot for family camping trips and the like, and its easy to chuck in the wash, BUT it has lost a lot of its loft since I got it (maybe 10 years now). I'd be interested to hear if people with more modern synth bags are still seeing this. I remember mates all buying snugpacks back in the 90s and reckoning 2 or 3 years before they collapsed and lost a lot of warmth.
 JayPee630 25 Aug 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Yeah, my first proper sleeping bag was a Snugpack, probably bought in the early/mid 90s? Cut it open in about 2005 after lots of use as it just wasn't keeping me warm, and basically dust came out!
 Fozzy 25 Aug 2017

I use a Rab Ascent 500 for most of the year. It does the job admirably, wasn't very expensive and is nice & light.
OP martinturner 25 Aug 2017

Cheers for all the advice/options etc.

Ended up buying the 'TNF Superlight' from Stevie above.
Down bag good for -12, weighs about 1.4kg.

Recently I've been starting to run quite cold in the night. I'm assuming it's because in the last few years living with the fiancé, the heating is PERMANENTLY on full pelt. Turned me into a cold person.

london_huddy 26 Aug 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

I've found that they're wide enough that when I roll over, I still have it over/around me.
There's also the option of attaching it to elastic straps which run around your sleeping mat so that you can move under it but it stays put. It's a bit fussy though and requires more care to get set up than just jumping into a sleeping bag.

The Revelation that I've got has a foot box so can't be used a lot like a sleeping bag - albeit one without a hood. I went for extra length so that I can retreat under it when it get properly chilly. I did -10c in Yellowstone last September and was toasty with the system. It's especially nice in summer because you can easily regulate temperature.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...