Petzl Gully - superlight ice axe?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 67hours 21 Aug 2017
Anyone bought or used a Petzl Gully?

I've wanted a lightweight axe for both ski mountaineering and easy alpine walks for a while, to compliment owning a pair of technical axes.

https://www.petzl.com/LU/en/Sport/Ice-axes/GULLY

It looks about a 1/3 the weight of a DMM Apex, or half the weight of a Petzl Aztar (the only other axes I have available to me).

Any opinions out there? I've never seen anything so light with a curved pick and trigrest?
 Jonny 21 Aug 2017
In reply to 67hours:

I haven't used that particular axe, but I have used the Simond Fox Carving, which is absolutely brilliant. Same idea as the Gully, just without a trigrest and maybe a slightly shorter pick. Same weight, and about half the price.

I use it mainly to supplement an all-around axe on routes that demand one and a half axes. Sounds like that solution might be neither here nor there, but the Fox Carving's pick bites very well in ice, and it's perfect for steep and hard snow slopes in high dagger position.

I would happily take it as my only tool in marginal situations, like what you describe. Not optimal for self-belay or arrest by dint of its length (although actually surprisingly good!), but perfect for the odd steep section on an otherwise easy walk.
 HeMa 22 Aug 2017
In reply to 67hours:

Gully is going to be good. But to be honest, I'd consider a BD Whippet for such a use. At least this has been my choise.

The other tools I have are Fusions, and this has server me well. Perhaps, had I more time and possibility to climb easier alpine stuff, I'd consider complementing my quiver of tools with the new Sum'Tecs (or if BD would bring out a similar axe/tool).
 DaveHK 22 Aug 2017
In reply to 67hours:

I've got a Petzl Glacier Literide. It's a little heavier (320g) than the one you link to but looks and works pretty much like a proper axe. Its got a proper spike at the bottom rather than a cut off shaft which I think is better. No trigger but if it's just for walking and ski mountaineering I'm not sure why you'd need or want that. Cheap too.
 Jonny 22 Aug 2017
In reply to 67hours:

Then there's the Camp Corsa (205 g) if you really want to go lightweight.
 99ster 22 Aug 2017
In reply to 67hours:

I had a good look at a Petzl Gully in a shop last week as I was very interested in buying one - and it is incredibly light. But my biggest concern was the size of the pick - it's very small... I would be worried that it wouldn't be a lot of use for something like an ice axe arrest, or to dagger with. They also had the new Sumtec - a bit heavier, but you can actually use that...as a proper ice axe!
OP 67hours 22 Aug 2017

Thanks for the suggestions all.

I've seen a couple of the other options before (in particular the BD Whippet, which for whatever reason didn't seem like a good choice to me - I suppose I don't like the idea of having a spike on my pole when I don't need it there). But I quite like a slight curve plus the security of having a trigrest - I've used a single axe daggering up a slope with skis on the back before and I find it much more awkward without these.

Don't agree that the size of the pick was especially small on the Gully when I saw it.

Conclusion - think I'll buy one!
Post edited at 10:51
 beardy mike 22 Aug 2017
In reply to 67hours:

By th way, when I spoke to the chap from Petzl at ISPO he said their head weights fit, so if you want better penetration you can add them for a few quid. I seem to remember some of the other accessories are universal too.
 steveriley 22 Aug 2017
In reply to 67hours:

Thanks, useful stuff - I've been thinking a light axe might be useful for winter mountain runs when you're really not expecting to need it - it's a gear category I didn't really know existed till now.
OP 67hours 22 Aug 2017
In reply to beardy mike:

Thanks Mike, good to know!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...