Scarpa 'Mescalito' scrambling boots - remember these?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Forester3 20 Aug 2017
I bought a pair of these around ten years ago and they have been excellent boots in every way. Alas, after many miles and scrambling routes, the 'Skywalk' soles are all but worn out. However, the uppers, including liners, are still in excellent nick.
Therefore:
- I've been pondering a resole from the likes of LSR (estimate £50 - £60). Though as I'm presuming the 'skywalk' sole units are no longer available, these would most likely be the Vibram equivalents.
- Or, would I be better advised to just bite the bullet and put the hard earned towards a new pair of something similar? As the Mescalito is no longer produced, in the interests of narrowing what I guess is a wide choice, any suggestions as to what could be comparable would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
 TobyA 20 Aug 2017
In reply to Forester3:

I'm reviewing a pair of these http://www.scarpa.co.uk/mountain/zodiac-tech-gtx/ for UKC currently, they are great - comfy for hiking in and solid and grippy when scrambling in them, plus they take semi-auto crampons. They might be a bit stiffer than the Mescalitos, never had a pair so don't know. But getting yours resoled sounds a good idea if the uppers are still in good nick and you like them.
In reply to Forester3:

Interesting post.

15 years ago I bought some KSB synthetic boots, no fancy goretex liner. They are my best scrambling boot by far, and who needs a goretex liner anyway? I don't go scrambling in hosing rain and goretex liners in footwear that I move fast in become counterproductive in terms of moisture.

I wish these sorts of things were still made, I can find nothing to buy that comes even close to these classics.

OP Forester3 21 Aug 2017
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
Agreed - though I guess it's all down to commercial decisions made by 'the suits' attempting to boost sales by 'upgrading' or 'replacing' existing models - I'm often bemused by such 'improvements' - how can something that's already near perfect be 'improved'!

However, I'd also be interested to know whether anyone of this parish has had a pair of Mescalitos resoled with anything other than 'Skywalk' units and, if so, whether they were happy with the result? The reason being, I had a pair of Altberg's resoled a couple of years ago; the 'Skywalk' soles being replaced with 'Vibram' units. I wore them during a traverse of the Cullin ridge last summer and, while it wasn't raining, the rock was slightly damp. On decending some slabs near Bruach na Frithe, my foot slipped and I was on the deck with barely time to react, fortunately, we were short roping and my partner held the fall (thanks Andy - I still owe you that pint! ), otherwise, I, probably have skidded off the edge... I slipped on a couple of other occasions the same day (though not onto the deck again) so I was pretty shaken up by the end. It just left me wondering whether I was just having a bad day or if the rubber compound used in those particular sole units is harder wearing i.e. not as 'sticky' as the 'Skywalk' units? I'll add I've never experienced sudden unexpected slips on damp rock when wearing the Mescalitos....
Post edited at 23:14
 Jamie Hageman 22 Aug 2017
In reply to Forester3:

I had a pair of these, bought in Nevisport in Nottingham in about 2000/2001 I think. They were fantastic and very grippy, though the lack of waterproof lining meant I got wet feet from time to time.
After they died, I had a pair of Aku Crodas - very similar in style but the vibram sole was just not as good.
I now have a pair of Sportiva Trango Guides (very cheap from Sportsdirect!) and though I like them, they too just have a plain old Vibram sole with no special extra grip.

The closest thing I've found since are the Five Ten Camp Four Mid GTX. The sole is superb and uber-grippy, and they fit my feet very well. Down side is they're not cheap unless you can find them reduced.
 summo 22 Aug 2017
In reply to Forester3:

If you thought they were good, you'd have loved the el caps before them. Comfort of a carpet slipper, grip like a stickie, solid fit, good edging... I'm still in mourning now.
 Dauphin 22 Aug 2017
In reply to Forester3:

Thought they were good at dry scrambling but too warm for raving in. Also the soles went on my mine very quickly, couple of summers and they were done.

D
In reply to Forester3:

> the 'Skywalk' soles being replaced with 'Vibram' units

It's worth pointing out that there are many grades of Vibram rubber, and many different sole unit designs.

'Vibram' is not just one thing.

The Vibram sole unit on my La Sportiva TX4 shoes is very grippy. But the downside is it probably won't last as long as harder, less grippy grades.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...