Summary of European Alpine Mountaineering Areas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 spenser 15 Aug 2017
Does anyone know if there's a website/ book with descriptions of the different areas of the alps? I've found myself volunteered to run my local club's alpine meet next year, there seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for the Bregaglia/ Piz Bernina which looks good but I'd like to do some more research and am not really sure where to start! Recently we've been to the Picos De Europa, Chamonix, The Dolomites and The Ecrins, enthusiasm for somewhere with snow appears to be high!
 Doug 15 Aug 2017
In reply to spenser:

Kev Reynold's 'Walking in the Alps' gives a reasonable overview although more from a walking rather than climbing perspective - see https://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/476/title/walking-in-the... for more details
 nutme 15 Aug 2017
In reply to spenser:

"The 4000m Peaks of the Alps" is reasonably good for overview for whole summer snowy Alps.
 timmeehhhh 15 Aug 2017
In reply to spenser:

Sounds like a proper venue to me, I have been there four times and managed to get a lot done from Bondo: Classical alpine routes in the Bernina range, Short rock routes near the Albigna lake, Big Rock routes in Val Bondasca, trad classics in Val di Mello and a lot of pizza's and cappuchino's in Chiavenna.
 Dom Goodwin 15 Aug 2017
In reply to spenser:

I don't know of any such book. Most books cover specific areas. General books such as 4000m books will give good coverage of some areas, but scarce coverage of others and of course ignore some areas entirely. If snow is popular, you could certainly do worse than Saas. Plenty of easy snow peaks at around PD, and harder stuff too. Also, not far from Saas to Zermatt or to access the Bernese Oberland, so a huge number of options with a little travel. Of course, the downside is that it's expensive. Austrian Alps can be good for easier/shorter routes. The level/variability of ability of your group may be important considerations.
OP spenser 15 Aug 2017
In reply to timmeehhhh:

Thanks for those recommendations, I hadn't considered driving round to Val di Mello and have taken a look at the Plaisir Ost guidebook it looks like the suggestion was better than I'd thought. People were suggesting to stay in Vicosoprano, it definitely looks like a good candidate to me! I may have spend some pennies on guidebooks and add to the library.
Cheers
Spenser
 rlrs 15 Aug 2017
In reply to spenser:

Just to mention some more stuff in/around Val di Mello from my experience, that isn't covered in Plaisir Sud (surely, not Ost):

Pesgunfi
El Schenun
 jonah jones 15 Aug 2017
In reply to spenser:
Hi Spenser,

It's the Jonah that you climbed with at Tremadog on the Climbers Club meet last year.

If your planning on the Bregaglia, the campsite at Vicosoprano is brilliant. Loads to do around the Albigna hut, and the area above Bondo (Badile etc).

Short drive to the Bernina area with lots of good stuff to go at, I still need to do the Biancograt (one of those lines that just looks right).

Also not to far to the Mello area, fantastic rock climbing, both in the valley and the peaks above. I also remember abseiling into the Bodenga gorge above Chiavenna, and had a fab adventurous day.

I have loads of guide books if you want to borrow some. Have also climbed all over the Alps / Pyrenees, just drop me a mail if you want more info / advice / guide books.

Best regards,

Jonah
OP spenser 16 Aug 2017
In reply to rlrs:

I was looking round Vicosoprano and had Plaisir Ost at hand which has a little bit in but doesn't cover Val Di Mello which I knew by reputation. Thanks for the recommendations.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...