Winter season in Canmore/Banff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 k_os 14 Aug 2017
So this really goes across the a couple of forums (winter/ski/ice/destinations?!), but I'm keen to spend a winter season in Canada, somewhere that has access to good winter climbing and skiing, and is a big enough place to have some variety in work options and rest day things to do.

Canmore seems like a good option, being just outside of the Banff national park and (i'm told) is easier to get accommodation sorted than Banff itself. I want to boost my skiing having only done a handful of trips in the last few years, so my worry is is that Canmore is that bit further away from the ski resorts (particularly Lake Louise) and will be a bit of a faff to get to when I'm not working.

Anyone have any top tips, contacts, recommendations? Destinations that i should consider as an alternative? Is anyone doing the same and have a spare room in Canmore?! I'm looking at flying out mid to late september and will have a work permit

Thanks,

Kieran
OP k_os 15 Aug 2017
In reply to kos_os:

bump for the lunchtime crowd
 La benya 15 Aug 2017
In reply to kos_os:

I did a season in Fernie.
banff is great, the area as a whole is colder than whistler (or fernie) so if you dont like quite extreme temps then maybe go somewhere else (we had a couple of weeks of -40c which sucked).
shouldnt have a problem with work, the resorts put on a job fair and fill all the vacancies then. just dont be picky about which job you do. i was a liftie which was the best job ive ever had and likely to ever have.
we worked 4 long days for minimum wage and then got 3 off to ski (board), it was amazing.

fernie is a good alternative, medium sized in the grand schemes of canada, nice town, good hill, great snow.

dont bother with whistler, you wont find anywhere to live.
wilkobaggins 15 Aug 2017
In reply to kos_os:

Hey Kieran,

I lived in Canmore for three years and it's great. It is generally cheaper than Banff for accommodation but there are plenty of hotels in Banff that offer staff accom if you want to work in them. If your going to live in Canmore then travelling to Banff for skiing will require a car - or find yourself a local friend , it's around 20 miniute drive and there's little to no reliable public transport, though there are busses to the ski resorts, any off piste or climbing will require a car.

If your looking for better prices for accommodation Cochrane is much better and is an hours drive from Banff, it's also close enough to Calgary for work and city based entertainment.
 thompsettjack 16 Aug 2017
In reply to kos_os:

Hey Keiran,

I'm going to be heading out to around that area in November! Give me a shout if your keen to get out climbing I'm super keen, I'll be out there for a couple of years hopefully.

Cheers,

Jack
OP k_os 21 Aug 2017
In reply to kos_os:

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be going to Fernie to check it out at the very least, and will have a look at my options there. And I've heard the don't bother with Whistler enough for it to put me off (even if it is massive/amazing/not quite as cold etc)

It does sound like I'm going to need a car in Canmore, which shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Jack - I'll be in touch - what work/accommodation have you got or are you sorting when you get there?
 Denni 01 Oct 2017
In reply to kos_os:

Canmore slightly cheaper I would say than Banff. Try and get a job with accommodation. There always seems to be vacancies. I'll ask my mate who lives there if he knows of anyone renting.

Ask around any of the cafes and pubs etc if they will hire you even if there are no signs. I was there in May and Valhalla on 8st street and switching gear (second hand shop) seemed desperate for staff. There was also vacancies at ski uphill across the railway lines as well as your usual Safeway checkout type jobs. I don't think you'll have a problem job wise but you might for accommodation.

As above, 20 mins or so to Banff but if you're skiing at Sunshine, get there early as the parking is a long standing nightmare. Just ask around as there are a lot of the same type of folk who head there for the season. Also useful to contact the Canadian Alpine Club and I found it useful joining Gravsports forum as I met a few folk for climbing, skiing and generally getting out and about.

http://www.gravsports-ice.com/icethreads/

You'll have a grand time :0)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...