Best 1 day grade 1 scramble on Skye?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chombi 12 Aug 2017
Hi there,

Heading to Skye in September and looking for recommendations for a great mountain day at about grade 1 scrambling level, I'm going with my girlfriend and she's done sharp edge and striding edge in reverse in the lakes without any trouble but doesn't fancy anything harder. Apparently the munro's are good?

Ideally something fairly sustained but easy that will give a full day and if we get good weather, good views! I'm going to take a bit of semi-static rope and a few slings so could get away with a few moves of a bit more difficult territory...

Thanks in advance!
 Jamie B 12 Aug 2017
In reply to Chombi:

My personal favourite grade 1 is the round of Fionn Coire. Up the NE ridge of Sgurr a' Bhasteir then descend NE ridge of Bruach na Frithe. Open and with good views, but basically pretty easy. You shouldn't need a rope on this or any other grade 1.
OP Chombi 12 Aug 2017
In reply to Jamie B:

Looks fantastic, thanks for the suggestion! Just checking you mean descending the ridge labelled pinnacle ridge on this map? https://ibb.co/cOdUCF
 colinakmc 13 Aug 2017
In reply to Chombi:
That's Pinnacle Ridge of Sgurr nan Gillean so that'll take you into graded climbing territory. No, the suggestion was to turn right rather than left and descend the NE ridge of Bruach na Frithe.
But that probably ain't grade 1 either - there seems to be a "bad step" involving a short but exposed abseil on the way to Am Basteir
Although I've not been there myself - I've actually been researching the route for a planned trip in a couple of weeks' time. As an alternative what about Sgurr nan Eag from the youth hostel?
Post edited at 00:32
 Jamie B 13 Aug 2017
In reply to colinakmc:
Both wrong I'm afraid.... Sgurr a'Bhasteir via it's NE ridge then across to the bealach between Coire a'Bhasteir and Fionn Coire, then across to Bruach na Frithe and descend it's long NNW ridge. Harder scrambles are available but this one satisfies the grade 1 criteria.

Sgurr nan Eag is best reached via Coire a' Ghrunnda, which is an adventurous walk in itself. From the far side of the lochan you can either slant left towards Casteil a' Garbh Coire, then scramble the crest at grade 1/2 (open to variation), or drift rightwards into a long open bouldery rake, which eventually gains the crest just before it flattens out near the summit. Both these options are however notoriously confusing in mist.
Post edited at 07:21
OP Chombi 13 Aug 2017
In reply to Jamie B:

Thanks to you both, both look like great suggestions and are much appreciated!
 colinakmc 14 Aug 2017
In reply to Jamie B

>.. Sgurr a'Bhasteir via it's NE ridge then across to the bealach between Coire a'Bhasteir and Fionn Coire, then across to Bruach na Frithe and descend it's long NNW ridge. Harder scrambles are available but this one satisfies the grade 1 criteria.

Is that via the right bank (looking up) of the Basteir Gorge, then from the summit across to the bealach known as Bealach na Lice?

atrendall 14 Aug 2017
In reply to colinakmc:

You need to be on the right bank (looking upstream) (or west to totally avoid any further confusion in this thread!!!) to start SAB'S NE Ridge. Then from summit to B na Lice and up the obvious ridge to B Na Frithe then down NW ridge. A good trip.
In reply to Chombi:
So much up there, so depends on what you main priority is. If views over scrambling then to add to the above something else to consider though not any sustained scrambling:

If after views, don't rule out the likes of Blaven. Can be fantastic views in all directions. Only a short scramble between the tops.

If not bothered with a Munro tick, but just to get into the heart of the ridge, a trip up to Sgurr Dearg next to the In Pin is memorable and has great views and a sense of what the ridge is all about, though a shortish day unless extended. Not likely to get the hill to yourself though as In Pin popular.

Or even Sgurr a'Mhaidh to the Munro summit taking the easiest route before An Dorus is well worth doing. An Dorus for a short section of harder scrambling if up for it. Could add on Sgurr Thuilm if you avoid the direct link (the direct link is a full on exposed grade 3+ if my memory serves me right and not for the faint hearted).

Just something different for you to consider. Enjoy whatever you do, I've always enjoyed my Cuillin trips.
OP Chombi 14 Aug 2017
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Sgurr Dearg sounds excellent, in terms of getting a sense for the ridge! Will have a proper look at everything you suggested, cheers!
 J Brown 15 Aug 2017
In reply to Jamie B:

That's a brilliant day out!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...