Patagonia Nano Air Light Hoody vs Rab Alpha Direct

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neuromancer 07 Aug 2017
I run hot and sweat a lot.

Patagonia is noticably cheaper (by about 30%).

Anyone able to compare the two?
In reply to neuromancer:

Patagonia obviously.

- Better build quality.
- Better quality fabrics.
- The company actually cares about the environment and alpinism.
- Excellent warranty and after sales.

If you're skinny you might find Patagonia's cut a bit boxy. Arcteryx might fit you better. The Atom LT might be a good bet. I find the fleece panels a bit annoying as they let cold air through.

Tom
 JayPee630 07 Aug 2017
In reply to neuromancer:
Where do you find the Patagonia cheaper?

The Rab will be warmer but full zip so be able to vent.
Post edited at 18:44
 Alpenglow 07 Aug 2017
In reply to neuromancer:

People on here have had terrible experiences with Rab's warranty, so I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.
 jezb1 07 Aug 2017
In reply to neuromancer:

I'm biased as I like Patagonia kit a lot, but the nano air is ace!

You're also buying from a company that gives a toss about the world.
 wbo 07 Aug 2017
In reply to neuromancer: my nano air is the jacket I use the most. If the fits ok no question which is get
OP neuromancer 07 Aug 2017
In reply to neuromancer:
Happy with the ethical argument, buuuuuut

The original alpha was considered to be similar to fullrange, but doesn't the new furry alpha breathe even better? Has anyone worn them both?

I also have a long body and long arms hence why Rab is the comparison jacket.

Sorry - this should have been vs Rab Alpha Flux not direct!
Post edited at 22:02
 angry pirate 07 Aug 2017
In reply to neuromancer:
I tried a nano air on a while back as it seemed like a wonder product but the sleeve length was too short for me in the medium and the large was very baggy. I have fairly long arms so Rab or ME fit me much better.
I do keep banging on about it but I really rate the Berghaus hypertherm hoody as an all day light insulation piece: lightweight and medium fits me fine
Post edited at 22:09
 JayPee630 09 Aug 2017
In reply to angry pirate:

Also worth looking at the Rab Vapour Rise Alpine, then as another Alpha piece the Montane Halogen Alpha which looks good.
 JayPee630 09 Aug 2017
In reply to neuromancer:

I've tried on the Rab Alpha Flux and it's lovely but I found out really long in the body in medium.
 lucozade 09 Aug 2017
In reply to neuromancer:

I haven't got either jacket but do have a Montane Alpha Guide which has Polartec Alpha. Must admit I prefer it to fleece (partly as fleece seems to give me electric shocks!) but the one thing is that I can't wear the Alpha Guide unless temps are pretty low as it's warm when you get going. I run hot and get cold on stops so my use of Alpha is probably when it's under 0C - if that helps! The new Halogen Alpha is much lighter and can be found for around £108 for men.
OP neuromancer 09 Aug 2017
In reply to lucozade:

Cheers for the help - I have a moral opposition to Montane kit (for stupid reasons) so I tend to steer clear.

I think I'll probably pick up the patty, and if it doesn't fit just use my current strata flex (if it is a bit small).
 dgbryan 10 Aug 2017
In reply to lucozade:

I would second that - the Montane AG seems an excellent bit of kit & all I have found necessary over a merino top on a couple of Cogne trips. The Montane zips seem a little fragile at the attachment point to the fabric - I have had a couple stretch & tear there (trousers). But the overall fit & function seem excellent, as does the price / quality balance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...