go pro v olympus tg-5

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dingerbell 04 Aug 2017
I'm contemplating to purchase the Go pro 5 or Olmypus tg-5. I want to do some filming and photos but after a little research there not much difference really ,
Has anybody had them both or either one?
 balmybaldwin 04 Aug 2017
In reply to Dingerbell:

I have a Go Pro Session 5, and it's very good (it gets a bit hot on really high res), but it was a lot of £££. I also have a RunCam3 that I strap to my racing drone... it was only £90 and in some situations (high speed and variable light) it outperforms the session, but it's not waterproof and cant do 4K.

Fraser 04 Aug 2017
In reply to Dingerbell:

Don't have either but am considering a Go-pro 5 Sessions. Even the Hero 5 looks a lot smaller than the Olympus, and for me, in this kind of market, size matters a lot. Didn't see any mention of voice activation on the Olympus either but I may have missed it.

From first glance, the GP still looks more suitable for my requirements.

Have you been able to compare image quality of the two?
Dingerbell 04 Aug 2017
In reply to Fraser: I'm trying to google some images, but really cant find any landscape images what I want really.

The Lemming 04 Aug 2017
In reply to Dingerbell:
Just sold my gopro black 4. Was the image quality any good?

I also had a Panasonic 4k camcorder. I later found out that my handheld camcorder with internal gimbal giving rock steady footage had the exact same size sensor as the gopro black 4.

The gopro gave excellent quality footage, provided that the camera was stable. Who wants to watch shakey footage from any camera?

I also have a mobile phone and budget action camera and they too take excellent footage almost equal to the gopro.

Would I buy another gopro. Not now because other companies are producing kit better than gopro.

Would I buy a voice activated gopro?
No, because I would look like a tit saying the magic words gopro want you to say.

On my wishlist for an action camera is a Sony x3000r. They have an internal gimbal and out perform gopros.
Post edited at 23:45
 HeMa 05 Aug 2017
In reply to Dingerbell:

They are not similar. 'Cept both do video and pics. GP is a square, where as the Oly is more traditional shape. I find carrying a GP or similar a chore, as it doesn't really fit in pockets all that well. GP also either doesn't have a viewfinder at all, or it Ain't all that good. Meaning that you're shooting blindfolded.

MokaCam with the screen is more handy in that respect. I own the orig one and will get the AlphaS when it is available.
 Fraser 05 Aug 2017
In reply to HeMa:
Eh???

Hero 5 black: 61 x 44 x 21mm (screen size: 51mm; weight with card & battery: 118 grammes)
Oly: 113 x 66 x 32mm (screen size: 76mm; weight with card & battery: 250 grammes)

If the GP doesn't fit your pocket, the Oly definitely won't!

Edit: if it's the cube-shaped 'Session' GP you're talking about, you can wi-fi the live-view image to your mobile to get the framing right. Stats for the Session model:

Hero 5 Session: 38 x 38 x 36mm. Weight with card & battery: 73 grammes.
Post edited at 19:25
 balmybaldwin 05 Aug 2017
In reply to Dingerbell:

What kind of filming do you want to do?

You said you were goggling for images... do you mean you want to see stills from a Go Pro? If so let me know and I'll take a few stills with it.

Dingerbell 05 Aug 2017
yes basically filming my walks and taking still photos. if you have any would be good thanks.

HeMa 06 Aug 2017
In reply to Fraser:

Ah, they made the both GP smaller and the Oly fatter.
 balmybaldwin 06 Aug 2017
In reply to Dingerbell:

I'll email you a couple.... unfortunately they are just a few snaps I took accidentally when setting up for a video, but they'll give you an idea of quality and lens curvature... not I haven't looked into all the photo settings so these are on default
 Alpenglow 06 Aug 2017
In reply to Dingerbell:

GoPro for video and Olympus for photography, depends what you do more of.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...