Descent Shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 radddogg 03 Aug 2017
Hi,

I've been clipping my Scarpa Crux to the back of my harness for descents but they are a little heavy/bulky so I am looking for something more fit for purpose.

Ideally I'd like something with the following properties:-
-a suitable sole to descend (ok on wet grass or rocks)
-lightweight
-minimal
-slip-on/velcro closure
-heel loops

Is there anything out there?
 Pina 03 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

I find these to be ideal: https://tinyurl.com/y96fbwvn
 Neil Williams 03 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

Some kind of barefoot style trail shoes?
 Postmanpat 03 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

I use a pair of lightweight innov8s. Forget the exact model.

Not velcro and not cheap but so light that you hardly know they are on your harness and good grip on most surfaces. Much lighter than things like the Crux but it helps if you can get your partner to use something equally light unless you carry them when leading!
 flaneur 03 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

Lightweight fell-running shoes like the Inov8 x talon 212 or 225 are half the weight of the Cruxes with much better grip on wet grass. Tie a loop of 4mm through one of the eyelets if you think this necessary or just clip into the laces.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/inov-8-x-talon-225-shoes-1/

Something like the Vibram five fingers treksport ticks minimal, slip on/velcro and heel loop but are heavier and less grippy than the inov8s and will take some adjusing to if you've not worn this kind of foortwear.
 Luke90 03 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:
Evolv Cruzers are cheap, light, non-bulky, easy to slip on and off, and have heel loops. I'd thoroughly recommend them. They're almost perfect for what you're looking for. The lugs on the sole are pretty minimal so they're not phenomenal on wet grass or mud but they're a lot better than they look like they ought to be. Certainly a vast step up over descending in climbing shoes, even on the wet terrain that suits them least. Their grip in the dry, particularly on rock, is amazing. They're almost the only approach shoes I use these days. I'd only go for more conventional approach shoes for a long, rough walk in or when it's really soaking. For general cragging, they do a great job.
Post edited at 09:52
 GridNorth 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Luke90:

Evolv Cruzers seconded.

Al
 Tigger 03 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

Innov8s always seem to be on sale somewhere...
 AlanLittle 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

Another vote for Inov8. I've used F-Lite 195s on some big alpine descents (and rainy day hut to hut hikes). Perfect for the job - comfortable, grippy, weigh next to nothing.
 slab_happy 03 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

I've got some Vivo Barefoot trail shoes that fit the bill and work well for me -- enough of a lug to be decent on wet grass, very lightweight.
 bpmclimb 03 Aug 2017
In reply to GridNorth:

> Evolv Cruzers seconded.

And thirded! They're not bad for climbing in either - on larger footholds and smears anyway - so you can do easier pitches in them.

Fraser 03 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:
I got a pair of these for just this purpose, but haven't had to use them yet. They're incredibly light, but don't have a chunky sole, so maybe not quite what you're after. I got them more for continental, multi-pitch walk-offs.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/soft-140-mesh-black-white-id_8350864.html
Post edited at 13:07
 TobyA 03 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

You missed a good gag opportunity with the headline - obviously it should have been "Decent descent shoes".

For years I used some Innov8s, they are pretty knackered now, but last year I got some Adidas Kanadia trail shoes (in very fetching orange). They were cheap off some internet site and only cost about 30 quid. But most important, like the Innov8s, is they have heel tabs you can fit a krab through meaning they are fine to carry on your harness and they are light, but they are also fine to walk in for a few kms unless its absolutely wet and muddy. Things like the Evolv Cruzers are probably great for dry, non grassy walk-ins but I wonder if you they are a bit slippy or soggy for your standard UK moorland walk in?

Sportiva do those ones specially designed to be looped together and hung from your harness. They look great but aren't cheap to say the least! http://www.lasportiva.com/en/tx2?options=25648
 Phil Anderson 03 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

Like many on here I use Innov8 trail-running shoes, but I have to say I find them near-lethal on smooth wet rock. I'm quite surprised no-one's mentioned it already so maybe it's just me.
OP radddogg 03 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

Cheers all. One pair of Evolv Cruzer slip-ons on their way
 Trangia 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Pina:

> I find these to be ideal: https://tinyurl.com/y96fbwvn

Sad to see you have 6 dislikers with no SOH
J1234 03 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

Out of interest will you still be taking your Scarpa Crux for the approach, and the Cruzers in your pack just for descending?
In reply to radddogg: I'm another big fan of the Evolv Cruzers.
My first pair are now pretty trashed but I'll be buying another identical pair to replace them.
 JCurrie 03 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

There was a thread on this a good while back.
As a result of reading it I bought a pair of merrel footgloves. Extremely light and with a decent grip. They are also very flexible so can be shoved into a sac for the walk in whilst wearing something more waterproof and supportive.
They are great. If needs be I can shove a windproof, a bar and a small bottle of water into them too.
Jase
 Luke90 03 Aug 2017
In reply to TobyA:
> Sportiva do those ones specially designed to be looped together and hung from your harness. They look great but aren't cheap to say the least! http://www.lasportiva.com/en/tx2?options=25648

That stowing system looks very neat and they're pretty much as light as the Cruzers. I'd be excited to win them in a competition but there's no way I'm paying for them!

> Things like the Evolv Cruzers are probably great for dry, non grassy walk-ins but I wonder if you they are a bit slippy or soggy for your standard UK moorland walk in?

The canvas definitely does soak up the water if the ground is particularly wet. I've generally found them great for the Peak but I'm a bit of a fair weather climber anyway. Certainly wouldn't recommend them for anywhere boggy. Though they do at least dry quickly as well as getting soaked quickly. I have seen some people suggest slathering them in seam sealer. Might help.
 Euan Todd 03 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

Inov-8 Roclites (295 I think) - got a pair for hillrunning, but have also used them for walks, approaches and scrambles. Super-light shoe with a moderately aggressive sole. They perform brilliantly, but are definitely a bit worse for wear after around 15 months medium/heavy use (don't trust them as much on wet grass now as the sole is pretty worn down).

For the use you mention, I would definitely recommend them!
OP radddogg 04 Aug 2017
In reply to J1234:

I suppose it will be down to the venue. If it is a long/hard approach but short/easy descent I'll just use the Scarpa's and descend in rock shoes. If its easy approach and long/hard descent I'll just take the Cruzers. If it is a long/hard approach and long/hard descent I'll take both.
 steveb2006 21 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

Just noticed your thread so late reply. Ive been looking at / trying light weight walk down shoes and came across these in Decathlon - theyre brilliant, super light (185g per shoe I think), and only cost £8.99

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/run-one-shoe-id_8351755.html

Used some 2mm cord to make a carry loop (make a small hole) in back of heel.

Fulfills most of your requirements (no velcro though).

Been using mine for a couple of years now.

Steve
 Kevster 21 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

Merrel trail sock. Light weight, good sole, loop for krab.
They are really comfy too.

Downs: Upper/ sides wear quickly if youre not accurate with your feet on sharp edges. & relatively expensive.

Best kit buy for several years for me tho.
 mrphilipoldham 21 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

Adidas Terrex Swift Solo.. they're a thing of beauty. So light, comfy and I've done HVS on the grit in them.

Word of warning though, if you do intend to climb in them, then go for a size or a half smaller than your street size.
OP radddogg 21 Aug 2017
In reply to radddogg:

Thanks for the further comments, I had already bought the Evolv Cruzers but hopefully these suggestions might help others. So far I've not used the Evolvs for climbing but they are comfy nonetheless. Main downside is the material used for the upper. Totally useless in wet weather and attracts dirt but lightweight so I suppose there are compromises.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...