2 or 3 person tent recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
fiendoidel 02 Aug 2017
So,

I have a wife and 4 kids and we all like camping; however, our current set-up involves a massive 6 berth tent that weighs an astonishing amount , takes up most of the car boot, and takes an age to pitch. Consequently camping has become somewhat less fun for me and we don't go as often as I would like.

One possible solution is to use 3 x 2 berth tents (or 2 x 3 berth tents). This would also give some flexibility if only 2 or 4 of us wanted to go somewhere.

What would people suggest for reasonable quality 2 or 3 berth tents. I want it to be:
1. Robust / Long lasting.
2. Of sufficient quality to keep us dry in most weather conditions.
3. Not weigh too much
4. Not cost the earth (budget probably up to£175 per tent, but around £100 would be better!).
5. Internal space isn't a big issue - If the weather is so bad that we have to stay in our tents for days on end then we would just abandon.

Any advice / experience gratefully received.
In reply to fiendoidel:

You couldn't get them new in your price range, but have you thought about looking at eBay for a pair of classic Force Tens?

T.
 Spike 02 Aug 2017
In reply to fiendoidel:

perhaps buy a couple (or three if you want more space) http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/tents/962-alpha-300.html at £80 a pop, a tarp and fixing to make a central covered area?

Those vango tents aren't brilliant but they're good, we've used the four people version (http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/tents/964-alpha-400.html) for family for last few years and I think Scouts, Guides, Duke of Edinburgh favour the 2/3 man versions also for value/easy to pitch etc.

Not bling, but it works.
 JEF 02 Aug 2017
In reply to fiendoidel:
I've got a Vango Beta 350XL. It will pitch all in one, has a good size porch will full ground sheet.
It's tall enough to sit in a chair in the porch but you can't stand upright.
I can't remember what I paid (last year) but they're online for c£125
Post edited at 19:32
fiendoidel 02 Aug 2017
In reply to fiendoidel:

Thanks all, I had overlooked Vango's, having perhaps snobbishly discounted them as being slightly better versions of Eurohike or similar. Nice to hear some good reviews.

Also been wondering about a wild country Hoolie or a Berghaus 3.2. Anyone with any experience of either? The internet suggests that Berghaus tents might be made by Mike Ashley / sports direct; does this mean they are likely to fall apart after first use?

Once again thanks for the Vango tip. I'll get looking.
 shuffle 02 Aug 2017
In reply to fiendoidel:

I have had a four or five Vango tents over the years for year round car camping with my daughter. They've all been sturdy and reliable and not cost a lot. They'd be the first brand I'd look at for the type of camping you want to do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...