Personal website

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 29 Jul 2017
It's been a while since I had my own website, uni days 15 years ago when we had our own space.

Without getting ripped off, how do I easiest get a domain, a pop email that can forward to my existing Gmail, some space to upload my weather data from a raspberry pi. I could also host my blog.

I know I can Google it, but I'm looking for a recommendation on a provider. My blog is currently on blogger, and I could get a free Weebly to host my weather, but I have a particular domain in mind for email purposes and once I pay for that I might as well put it altogether.
 Jack B 29 Jul 2017
In reply to Philip:

Fairly recently I experimented with freehostia.com. They have a free package which included a few whatever.freehostia.com domain names, a modest amount of storage space (enough for a website and a good few images, but not really audio or video), a few email addresses, and some form of database access. There were no adverts. It worked. I never had to contact customer support, but I imagine you'd get what you paid for if you did.

There are quite a few similar offers around the place. I daresay they are all very similar, and who's offering the best deal will vary month to month. If I was looking again, I'd just google for a comparison review - just make sure you can use your own domain, and they have a weebly installer - those are the features they might not have.

Or, if your internet connection can take it, use a dynamic DNS provider to point at the pi itself, and host the website on there.
 jk25002 30 Jul 2017
In reply to Philip:
You can host websites on github or dropbox. I've used github for a couple of websites. Buy a domain name with email forwarding and point it at that.

Downside with github is you'll only get static pages (ie. no audience interaction). You could easily put a script on the Raspberry Pi to automatically push new weather data to github.

The benefit of github/dropbox, is that it's a completely blank space, and you need not be constrained by templates or forced to have adverts.

w.r.t. domain names, I've bought through Hover.com, which seem easy/straightforward, although I've noticed the price increasing a fair bit year on year. Also my bank suspends my card each year when it notices a payment to a US company, but that's the bank's fault...
Post edited at 09:20
OP Philip 30 Jul 2017
In reply to jrck2:

Thanks.

I might get the domain now and just use it with Blogger. I can push the weather data online somewhere and maybe include it in a static page on Blogger. Unlike WordPress they seem to let you buy your own site and use it with a free blogging account.
 MtnGeekUK 30 Jul 2017
In reply to Philip:

I've always found 123-reg.co.uk pretty solid and competitive.

(I don't work for them - this is my own experience of trying a few out!)
 Big Ger 31 Jul 2017
In reply to Philip:
Do UK internet providers no longer give you "X GB" amount of webspace with your package?
Post edited at 00:48
 Tom F Harding 31 Jul 2017
In reply to Philip:

I use Squarespace - it has a nice blog system and does all social media and analytics without too much trouble. Not sure about integrating external weather data as I just use mine as a business and portfolio site. It's pretty reasonable but a word of warning if you want a xxx@xxx.com (xxx your site!) you need to pay a bit extra each month as it goes through Gmail. You can have a look round with a free trial period and you don't need to pay in advance.
In reply to Philip:

I use UK2.net. I've got a pretty decent VPS with them.

I've found a lot of the cheap as chips hosting is very slow.
In reply to Philip:

> I might get the domain now and just use it with Blogger. I can push the weather data online somewhere and maybe include it in a static page on Blogger. Unlike WordPress they seem to let you buy your own site and use it with a free blogging account.

With wordpress.org, as opposed to wordpress.com, you host your own website/blog. Highly recommended.

Starky 31 Jul 2017
In reply to Philip:
If you're working with a Raspberry Pi then it sounds like you might have some time and technical knowledge. It could be worth setting up a VPS to give you flexibility.

When you sign up with Amazon AWS you get a free year of EC2 hosting on their t2.micro instances and plenty of disk space. Spin up a Linux VM, follow a few tutorials and you'll be good to go. After the first year you can switch to a t2.nano instance which will cost about $60 per year if you pay on-demand.

I also use 123-reg for domains and Google Suite to handle emails in Gmail.

Edit: A t2.nano instance is only $41.04/year if you pay up-front for a year and $27.72/year if you pay up-front for 3 years.
Post edited at 10:52
OP Philip 31 Jul 2017
In reply to Starky:

I have all of expertise to build and run a linux server but none of the time. Hence needing an honest and reliable provider.

I have been trying to simplify my IT life - all my linux machines are obsolete, my family run from android or chromebooks, my work are unaware of my IT skills (having learnt from my previous role where despite being a director I was also fixing the router if it went wrong).

The Raspberry Pi is going to be my little secret. Hidden away in my electrical cupboard I can remote in and play. I'm more interested in the hacking together of sensors than messing around with LAMP, Wordpress or any other software issues.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...