Internet/Phone Port issue - HELP!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben_Climber 25 Jul 2017

Hello,

If there are any BT Engineers or Electricians amongst you that can help that would be great.

I have 3 phone line/ internet ports in my house. Front door, upstairs and lounge. As far as I am aware the wiring runs in that order.

I have the router and BT master socket at the port inside the front door and is working fine. However I want this at the port in the lounge (last socket on the wiring).

I have tried to put the BT master socket and tried ADSL filters on both other ports but get no internet connection.
An electrician has come in and tested the wiring and says it is working all the way through to the final port. Neither of us can understand why there is no internet connection past the first port.

A BT Engineer call out is £130.
I have a feeling they will only plug the router into the lounge port (We have already tried this) and say its not working it must be a wiring issue. I have internet at the first port so BT are not interested in helping any further.

I have been tinkering for a few months now and still no joy. It's a new build house so shouldn't be any old issues i don't know about.

Any advice?

Ben
Post edited at 12:14
 Dauphin 25 Jul 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

For best WiFi speeds router best on first and/or upstairs. I know it doesn't answer your question, but hope it may help.

D

OP Ben_Climber 25 Jul 2017
In reply to Dauphin:
Thanks for the info.

The main reason I want it moving to the lounge is because we have a BT TV box. This does not have wifi capability so needs to be cabled in to the router. Hence why it would be tidy to have it all tucked away behind the television.

I currently have a 10m long ethernet cable running from my BT box through my lounge and kitchen out to the router at the front door. I trip over it most days...

Ben
Post edited at 14:36
 AndyC 25 Jul 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Since nobody else has answered - if you are on BT Infinity this might help:

https://www.vmadmin.co.uk/other/357-moving-bt-infinity-dsl-from-master-sock...

Alternatively, get a BT WiFi extender with Ethernet port, plug it into a power socket near the TV, ethernet to the TV box, set up a connection to your router and the job is done!
 Martin W 25 Jul 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

> The main reason I want it moving to the lounge is because we have a BT TV box. This does not have wifi capability so needs to be cabled in to the router. Hence why it would be tidy to have it all tucked away behind the television.

> I currently have a 10m long ethernet cable running from my BT box through my lounge and kitchen out to the router at the front door. I trip over it most days...

Could you use a pair of powerline extenders? These send the signal through the ring main, with Ethernet at either end (although the far end will often have wifi repeater capability too, which would give you better wifi in the lounge for browsing etc).
 balmybaldwin 25 Jul 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

You can ask the engineer to move your master port as an option. (I had mine moved when I had fibre installed)
OP Ben_Climber 26 Jul 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

We have tried the master socket in both other ports and the engineer has said that there is nothing coming out of the port. Hence why he left it at port 1 and told me there must be a wiring issue between port 1 and 2/3.
An electrician has since tested the wiring and confirmed its all fine.
Confused!
OP Ben_Climber 26 Jul 2017
In reply to Martin W:

This sounds like a promising idea!
Many Thanks
In reply to Ben_Climber:

> We have tried the master socket in both other ports and the engineer has said that there is nothing coming out of the port. Hence why he left it at port 1 and told me there must be a wiring issue between port 1 and 2/3.

> An electrician has since tested the wiring and confirmed its all fine.

> Confused!

I don't know anything really about this except though DIY - when I originally set up an internet connection, all I did was connect an extension phone wire into the back of the master socket. Never moved the latter. Ran the extension cable behind the wall, across the attic and down the wall where I wanted the pc. Installed a normal phone surface plate. The router is just plugged into that extension socket via a filter.

If your router does not work then maybe it is your wiring of the extensions that is the problem? Don't think you want to shift the master socket to one of the extension points if that is what you were trying.

As two others have suggested though, a wifi extender or power line extenders is a great way forward. Ironically, my master is in the lounge, but I don't use that and have the router on an extension in another room, and now use extenders via the power line to take internet back to the lounge for the tv! Also have a wifi extender to boost wifi through the house. All works well.

BTW as you have BT tv they will sell you power line extenders for something like £20 and these allow two Ethernet connections so you could say have a pc hard wired at your tv. Or add another and have it elsewhere in the house - anywhere you have a power socket.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...